Summertime Panfish…

• corey_bechtold
    Participant

Well, the Summer is definately here and the lakes are getting warm. A lot of people don’t fish Panfish this time of year because they think they are too difficult to find. Fact is that they aren’t hard to find it just might be a matter of time.

Lakes right now have very good weedgrowth and the fish will find cooler temperatures in the weeds. Getting in there can be challenging but if one was to concentrate his/her efforts on fishing prime times of the day the chances are better that the fish would become more active. Morning and evening are the best times to search out the aggressive feeding fish. Both Crappies and Sunfish will take advantage of the rising and setting sun to get a good meal. I typically like the evening bite for 2 reasons. 1) With sunset occuring late in the evening this gives me more time to sneak out after work. 2) As the sun starts to drop the temperatures are more comfortable for me and with less intense sun I don’t have to slick up with sunblock.

Taking advantage of the evening bite I will take my kids out and we will rig up with a 1/32 or 1/16oz jighead tipped with a soft plastic (Power Tube, Minnow, Gulp) and we will search out the deeper weedlines in search of cruising fish. Once we fan cast an area and stumble into some active fish we will try and get more vertical by motoring over the fish and jigging them.

Now is a good chance to get out and fish for Panfish. The fish are settling into their summer patterns and can be very eager to bite.

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

corey_bechtold
    Participant

I took my 5 year old out yesterday after work to fish for some Pannies. We found the Bluegills to be almost everywhere. Floating rafts and docks were a great place to find the Sunfish as they were seening some shaded areas. We had a blast catching these eager Sunfish. We were able to watch the fish race in and hit our baits as soon as they hit the water. Cole even caught a few fish without getting a hook in them. The fish just wouldn’t let go of the tails of our Power Tubes!

The Summer patterns are definatly setting up As the sun was setting the fish were on the weedlines snapping at whatever you put in their faces.

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

bill_cadwell
    Participant
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks Corey. Summer panfish are a blast. Depending on the lake they can be caught shallow, deep, and in between. I know alot of people who are catching them deep yet on the same body of water I have caught them shallow and also out on flats near the shallow areas. Which tells me that if you aren’t catching them where you are fishing don’t be afraid to try different depths. Fish don’t always go by our books [what man says where they should be at] so don’t be asfraid to experiment with different colors, lures, and different depths of water too.
    Thanks, Bill

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.