I D on a panfish…please

• muppert
    Hudson, WI

Where did you catch it??? I am trying to remember my fish ID but this one slips my mind. If i had to guess I would say a Green Eared Sunfish….but that is a guess without looking back at my notes from college.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

It kinda looks like a warmouth…..but it does not have the red eyes.

sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

I’ve seen a post like this somewhere before……………………

mile832
    MN

hybrid largemouth bass/bluegill??

mile832
    MN

nope I think it may be a green sunfish.

hof
    Rochester, MN

I agree with green sunfish.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I would say a green sunfish.

Thanks, Bill

JCK
    nora springs ia floyd

Geen sunfish has my vote

Chunk
    New Hampton, Iowa

Green Sunfish

jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

thats some sort of cross, i think gill x greenie, hard to tell without sending in DNA

jigmup
    Chisago county

Cool fish It could be a warmouth, longear, redbreast or other combination as well. They are all capable of cross breeding. The body is not quite as deep as the bluegill but is deeper bodied than the green sunfish. The mouth is larger than the bluegill that’s for sure!

david_scott
    Twin Cities

My son Tyler knows the name best…

A “cut-bait” ?

He is in PA right now.. so the name is perfect!

chuckles
    Manchester, Iowa

Most definately a hybrid. My first guess would be just by looking at some of the characteristics of the fish shown. I would first guess perhaps rockbass – bluegill hybrid. It absolutely has bluegill in it – not positive on the other half.
    It is not a green sunfish in any way shape or form – this can be determined by the lack of orange and white edging on the fins and the spot on the gill flap… also shows none of the turquoise worm markings typical of green sunfish and all green sunfish hybrids on the gill flap (operculum).

Very interesting either way! Thanks for sharing,
    Chuckles

hof
    Rochester, MN

If you look at a picture of a green sunfish, it certainly has the same gill flap minus some edge color. The body coloration is somewhat different than any of the usual patterns for sunfish, but does look like a rock bass. Assuming it could be a hybrid (which I don’t know if it’s possible), the pictures of various fish suggest a green sunfish/rock bass cross.

jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

heres some info wisconsin put together, has pictures of hybrids
    Wisconsin Fish Id

Hof- cross breds are very possible

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Thanks Guys! I have a couple more that I think are neat that I’ll post later it is fishing time now!!!!

chuckles
    Manchester, Iowa

Mike – this is not a green sunfish hybrid. If you examine the photo you will see that it lacks the white/orange edging on its fins. Green sunfish hybrids always exhibit the edging on the fins and on the operculum spot. The hybrids of green sunfish also exhibit the torquoise worm like markings on their gill flaps. The creature in this photo lack all of these characteristics that have been present in every green sunfish hybrid I have ever examined.

That said – bluegill hybrids exhibit their characteristic black/navy spot on the operculum. It certainly does so and shows enough similarities to bluegills that it certainly is partially bluegill.

I would bet my Bachelors degree in Fisheries and Wildlife Biology on it!

Chuckles

hof
    Rochester, MN

You got a bet!

hof
    Rochester, MN

Well, I’ve been waiting for proof, but I guess there isn’t any. By the definition of a hybrid, it has some characteristics of more than one fish. There may be some dominant characteristics, but I don’t believe you will find anyone that can state what you said is 100% fact every time. I do not mean to belittle your education, and I’m sure you didn’t intend to tell several of us that we don’t have a clue what we are talking about.
    I guess we can each have our opinions.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

I’ve caught 100’s of Green Sunfish in Nebraska and that sure looks like a Green Sunfish. It’s a little on the skinny side but, Green Sunfish is my vote.

Here’s a link to a great Sunfish ID Page!

kurtkid
    South metro

I caught a few of these fish on Prior Lake. They shure have a big moulth like a bass. I would be interested in finding out what the proper name for this fish is.

chuckles
    Manchester, Iowa

Note the features shown on the pages below – it really lacks some of the idnetifying characteristics of a green sunfish.

the lack of the creamy margin on the operculum…

http://www.wiscfish.org/fishid/wFrmAllImages.aspx?fid=64&comName=Sunfish, Green&sfName=Lepomis cyanellus&fam=Sunfishes (Centrarchidae)&GID=161&show=5&selText=0

Note the lack of creamy white margins on the anal and caudal fin (tailfin).

http://www.wiscfish.org/fishid/wFrmAttributeDetails.aspx?fid=64&comName=Sunfish, Green&sfName=Lepomis cyanellus&fam=Sunfishes (Centrarchidae)&GID=161

Just click on attribute details and fish details to see the info I have been trying to pass on.

If you want more proof I’ll have to do more digging… I stick by it being a bluegill hybrid and also stick by the lack of characteristics that I see displayed in green sunfish hybrids.

Chuckles

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.