Ice fishing line

• birdman
    Lancaster, WI

What’s your favorite line for ice fishing? I used to use clear Trilene XL in 4 or 2lb test until last season. I spooled with the dark blue cold weather line last year and was impressed with how limp it was despite the cold weather. What I wasn’t impressed with was how my catch rate went down. I don’t know if it was because the fish could see my line better or if I just didn’t have the right kind of jigging action last year. Either way this year I’m trying P-lines Floroice line. Has anyone used this line before or had a bad experience with Trilene’s cold weather line?

BassBull1
    Prairie du Chien,WI

I used it for quite a while last winter but changed back to STR.HIGH VIS.(blue) So I could see the line .These old eyes and bifocal on top of that I needed help keeping track of whats going on with my jig.Couldn’t tell if the line was hung on the side of the hole early and late in the day.HA HA Didn’t have any trouble with it tho…seemed like good line.Try not cleaning all the slush out of your hole.That will cut down on the light going down the hole and line color won’t matter as much.It really helps in the shallow lakes bown where your fishing. Good luck Bass Bull

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

I just take my reels off the spinning rods and put them on my ice rods. I use a few feet of maxima tippit in the different poundages. Works fine for me and I haven’t been outfished too often.

TROUTMAN
    S.E.Minnesota

Cortland makes an ice-line thats the color of the old Trilene XT solar.I’ve used it for several years now and really like it.Mike

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Without too much detail, my dad uses the Trilene cold weather and has no complaints regarding it. But again, he hasn’t really disclosed any detail…………..he just says, “It works”.

birdman
    Lancaster, WI

Judging by the replies I think my problem might not have been my line but maybe my jigging action. With the clear water in winter I can’t help but think the more invisible your line the more fish you will catch. I guess I should do a side by side comparison a few times with both lines to get a good feel if line color does make a difference. I’ll let you know my results.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

I use several rod/reel combos with different strengths on each. I have one that I really like with the Fireline Micro Ice in 4 lb test / 1 lb diameter. It stresses my old fart eyes in the bifocals to tie but it works pretty good. If I get worried about fish seeing the line I have spooled on the reel I just add a leader about 2 feet long. I use a camera when I ice fish and I watch the fish and I don’t think the line bothers them. I will tell you that I am amazed at how the fish react to noise – if someone is walking around on the ice in even 10-12 feet of water I have watched fish spook. I am more careful about noise than line.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.