panfish spoons in shallow water

• KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

I’ve been fishing some backwaters in about 3-4′ of water. Not fast acton, but there is a mix of nice gils, crappies, and perch. I’m wondering if spoons are effective in shallow water like this. Of course I can try some and find out for myself. I’m just wondering if in general panfish spoons work better at certain depths and not at others. Thoughts?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Can’t say I have fished them in that shallow of water, but I use spoons most of the time for crappie and perch. I don’t target gills much but the larger ones will eat a small spoon, it is harder to get it out of there small mouths though.

Charles

Been using waxie oh small trebles from 5′ all the way up 20′ this season. Seams like when they want it, they hit it hard.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I like fishing spoons as it appeals to me more so with shallow water, I will pick the flutter type spoons or just fish typical spinning blades.

Gonna have to go with the Eppinger Daredevle spoons first, maybe the Clam leech flutter spoon second. Kastmasters will always be in the line choice.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I have caught more big crappie and bluegill this year on a Clam Pinhead Mino than any jig or other spoon this season. Up shallow or over basins.

tim hurley

Any affiliation to Clam 14? Hmmmmmmmmmm grin

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Any affiliation to Clam 14? Hmmmmmmmmmm grin

Yes, but even if I wasn’t that pinhead mino has been the best lure I’ve had for big panfish. It’s not like I get paid when people buy Clam stuff. I’m just telling you what has been working for me this year. If it was a VMC Tumbler spoon (it was before the pinhead) I would say that.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Sounds like the pinhead minnow profile is the hot ticket this year. I have to sort of agree since I’ve been getting solid results with lure profiles of similar shape.

Kender’s T-Rip
    Major Craft Jigapara Micro spin
    Rapala Jigging Rap
    Gapen Flicker minnow

Then again, it could just be the waters I was fishing in. It’s hard to change lures when something that’s being used is hot. Sometimes I have to change constantly just to get a few bites.

As it goes, some years slender profiles are hot, some other years, small small small profiles are hot, then sometimes, flatter rounder profiles are the ticket, and then sometimes oversized seems to draw the best bites and sizes.

KwickStick

Right now the fish I’m on are too turned off to take spoons. I tried yesterday. Even waxies seem to be more than they want. Tiny jig and a spike is working.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I just got these today so haven’t tried them yet but I am excited to try a horizontal presentation. I think they are going to work well.

#12 Tungsten Dragon Fly

tim hurley

You are a straight up guy 14 just givin’ you the business-well not literally, hear what you are saying. laugh

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

You are a straight up guy 14 just givin’ you the business-well not literally, hear what you are saying. laugh

I guarantee if I said a freaking VMC spoon no one would have said anything but since it was Clam someone had to pile on…..somedays on this site I tell ya….. smash

KwickStick

Found some active crappies yesterday. No luck on the Slender Spoon which may have been a technique error, but a green wedgie on a Tungsten Tubby triggered most of them, and I even had one hammer a #3 Rippin Rap. That was a first for me.

tim hurley

“pile on 14?”Straight up guy, means I’m saying your honest, smiley face means kidding, no venom. I think those PHs look great I’ll probably get some, Clam has some great stuff, have the Caviar, drop kick, and others.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

“pile on 14?”Straight up guy, means I’m saying your honest, smiley face means kidding, no venom. I think those PHs look great I’ll probably get some, Clam has some great stuff, have the Caviar, drop kick, and others.

I know Tim. No hard feelings. I just seem to be getting that “aren’t you with Clam” line a lot lately.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.