Lake of the Ozarks Fishing

• walleye4383
    Waterloo, IA

I was wondering if there is anyone here that has fished this lake at all. A buddy and I are heading down the last weekend in April to try and catch some crappies and was wondering if anyone had any tips. Thanks.

mikem
    SE Minnesota

A friend of mine has a cabin there in the Gravois arm.He told me there were a lot of them under his dock about 10days ago. He said could see them but couldn’t get them to bite.This was when the cold front was just coming in.
    I was down there 4/18 a couple of years back. A lot of people sink brush near their docks. The water is very clear and they are easy to spook.Find some brush near the back of a cove and cast to it.

kasualobzerver

Good crappie lake overall. Best bite this spring thus far for quality and numbers has been on the main Osage arm with most reports preferring the areas in and around Hurricane Deck which is approximately mile marker 40. It will change a lot between now and the end of the month. Lake O is a brush pile pattern pure and simple unless you just happen to catch the fish shallow during spawn and then they are capable of being anywhere in skinny water. Most brush piles are associated with boat docks on that lake. If its pre or during the spawn plastic body baits are just fine, if its post spawn sometimes minnows might actually be better although I’m not a live bait expert. Good luck.

fluff47
    NE Nebraska

Its a big place and you didn’t say what part you’re headed too but we go there early every spring for crappie. Usually late March-early April and at that time they can be pretty hit and miss on LOZ and Truman both.

We’ve gone to fishing from Warsaw down the river. We were there 3wks ago and did well in any backwater off the river down to marker 74. Water just seems to warm up and they are up where you can get at’em sooner there.

Sence then reports were that they had started toward the bank to spawn and the the cold set in. Water droped from around 60 back down near 50 and is just creaping back up again this week. If that keeps up you may find’em on the bank in lots of places. The full moon comes up May 2nd and with warming water again this week and next, they should be on the bank.

If you’re interested in whats up the river you can check The Station Bait & Tackle at aroundthelake.com/station they give a report and seem to know whats up on that end of the lake.

walleye4383
    Waterloo, IA

We will be staying at the 8mm, and I will report on how we did when we get back. Thanks again for the tips.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.