Outfitting a new boat

• SoDakangler
    Participant

Getting my first new boat this year. 20’ tiller. Very excited to get out obviously. It’s currently getting rigged up with all the electronics and obviously have all the fishing gear. But what else should I be thinking about getting that would be helpful on the water? Ropes, anchors, life vests etc. What are things you’d never go fishing without in a boat of that size, especially on the river?

stevenoak
    Participant

Simple as it sounds. Ask your dealer for USCG requirements check list. I went 3 years not realizing you had to be wearing a inflatable PFD for it to be legal. Last few years I kayak and fish electric only lakes a lot. Have heck of a time remembering kill switch lanyard in the big boat. Besides that, spare batteries for all remotes, tools to change and extra prop. Also carry my small jumper-pac. First aid kit and flashlight. Fuses if you need them.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

One item that I found out after I bought my boat in 2015 was the spare trailer tire. Mine came with one, but the lug nut wrench for my truck didn’t fit the lug nuts on my boat trailer tires. Luckily, I found this out when it was in the garage one day with a bad valve stem, and not out on the road with a flat. Bought a 4-way tire iron that now sits under the back seat of my truck.

milemark_714
    Participant

One item that I found out after I bought my boat in 2015 was the spare trailer tire. Mine came with one, but the lug nut wrench for my truck didn’t fit the lug nuts on my boat trailer tires. Luckily, I found this out when it was in the garage one day with a bad valve stem, and not out on the road with a flat. Bought a 4-way tire iron that now sits under the back seat of my truck.

Harbor freight breaker bar and impact socket.Could also make a good weapon if needed.

Pat K
    Participant
    Empire, MN

Always nice to have a few dry bags on board for rain gear, dry change of clothes and other thing you don’t want to get wet.
    I carry an extra set of boat keys in my truck.

Gregg Gunter
    Participant

I carry a folding lug wrench and small hydraulic jack, plus a wheel chock. Had to use them on my 1 year old boat last year.

tim hurley
    Participant

I installed a magnetic bar that they use in kitchens for knives, great for scissors, heymostats, jaw spreaders, or anything metal-it makes these tools easy to find, easy to put back but also out of the way.

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

-A good spotlight
    -Whistle
    -Leatherman
    -Something to pee in. A lot of guys use PVC pipe over the side of the boat. I use a Gatorade bottle
    -Lighter. I remember reading about those fellers that capsized on LOTW some time ago and found their way to an island. Having a lighter allowed them to have a fire which saved their lives
    -extra rope
    -Rod holders
    -charger cable for ipilot remote
    -many carry jumper cables. I dont but should
    -if you wear an inflatable life vest I’d make sure you at least have a standard one on board in case your inflatable deploys
    -foot pedal in case the ipilot remote dies

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

many carry jumper cables. I dont but should

A noco booster or something similar can work here too. I used to keep cables in my boat until I got one recently.

A noco also has a USB port and a flashlight so it is a multi-use item.

Youbetcha
    Participant
    Anoka County

Bug spray, sunscreen, headlamp, if you are going on a long trip some kind of tool set is nice to have. We do a house boat trip most years and having tools is always nice.

Iowaboy1
    Participant

Good fire extinguisher.

MX1825
    Participant

A good anchor. I know you have spot lock but in an emergency you might need a manual anchor.

SoDakangler
    Participant

Awesome replies. Thank you everyone!

ssaamm
    Participant
    Pequot Lakes

A bottle of booze for a celebratory swig.

catching salmon hawgz
    Participant

I would say bring a spare jack like a floor jack and leave it in your truck and a rachet set and your impact gun just in case there is a flat tire. But when fishing you want of course flares or a flare gun, PFD’s, a kill switch of some sort, a fire extinguisher, and your cell phone of course.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.