Outdoors Garage Sales

• BigWerm
    SW Metro

Saw an ad on one of our local FB pages for a garage sale with a bunch of outdoors stuff (at 881 Cascade, Chaska) which was right on our way to daycare, and had a few camo backpacks which I wanted to grab one. Show up at 7:58, starts at 8, and there’s 6 guys there already shopping. Thankfully still had what I wanted, but I always get a chuckle for any garage sale with a lot of guy stuff (hunting, fishing or tools) and there will be a bunch of guys there before it even starts. rotflol rotflol

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

There are some hardcore garage salers! We have one every few years, and there are always people prowling the neighborhood well before the advertised start time. I have learned to not put our address on the signs or any ads and pull the signs on our immediate street corner until we’re ready for business.

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

I have a very good friend that spends a fair amount of time building lures, buying and fixing rods/reels and buying good deals. He then has a couple garage sales around the fishing opener. He is retired and it give him some extra fun money. He might even talk your ear off at the sale! He will have people stopping in as he is setting up. He is off 65 at the first stoplight going into Cambridge. Great location.

Shannon

Cody Meyers

I feel like all I ever see is junk at the big “outdoorsman garage sales”. I hardly even slow down for one anymore.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

One in Spring Lake Park also lots of fishing rods and reels.
    8391 Westwood Rd. Spring Lake Park

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

As told to me by my wife, every garbage sale we have had there has been people knocking on the garage door for us to open over a ½ hour earlier than the time posted. I am not allowed to attend our garage sales and hope to never have another one. I get to set up and go. Think that has to do with a person offering a dime on a shirt that was marked for a quarter. Me lighting it on fire and telling them that the expression on their face was worth more. We even had one lady ask to come inside our house to look at some of our nicer stuff. Uhh, sorry that stuff is not for sale.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I have a very good friend that spends a fair amount of time building lures, buying and fixing rods/reels and buying good deals. He then has a couple garage sales around the fishing opener. He is retired and it give him some extra fun money. He might even talk your ear off at the sale! He will have people stopping in as he is setting up. He is off 65 at the first stoplight going into Cambridge. Great location.

Shannon

I look forward to seeing his signs every year. He’s a fun guy to chat with and I always buy a bunch of stuff I don’t need from him.

MX1825

I get to set up and go. Think that has to do with a person offering a dime on a shirt that was marked for a quarter. Me lighting it on fire and telling them that the expression on their face was worth more.

rotflol

My feelings exactly RW!!
    I’ve told people to leave at our GS.
    Some asshat gets there early and the 1st 2 minutes you’re open their 1st question is “Will you take less for this item”.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Rodwork wrote:</div>
    I get to set up and go. Think that has to do with a person offering a dime on a shirt that was marked for a quarter. Me lighting it on fire and telling them that the expression on their face was worth more.

rotflol

My feelings exactly RW!!
    I’ve told people to leave at our GS.
    Some asshat gets there early and the 1st 2 minutes you’re open their 1st question is “Will you take less for this item”.

I low ball every garage sale I’ve ever been to. And it has never not worked. Or I do the bundle for less, just like the American pickers guys taught me. Some one not budging on crap they don’t want is the ass hat lol, I also do not do garage sales often. My neighbor had one a couple weeks back and he is a fishing guide for vets/ homes for heros. I bought a brand new trolling set up from him and he gave me 3 rods and forced me to drink 3 beers. I’ll do that sale any time

Mike m

As told to me by my wife, every garbage sale we have had there has been people knocking on the garage door for us to open over a ½ hour earlier than the time posted. I am not allowed to attend our garage sales and hope to never have another one. I get to set up and go. Think that has to do with a person offering a dime on a shirt that was marked for a quarter. Me lighting it on fire and telling them that the expression on their face was worth more. We even had one lady ask to come inside our house to look at some of our nicer stuff. Uhh, sorry that stuff is not for sale.

x2 Id rather give my stuff away or burn it before I dicker with some assbag over a quarter

MX1825

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Rodwork wrote:</div>

x2 Id rather give my stuff away or burn it before I dicker with some assbag over a quarter

Exactly! When there’s 20 people present at opening, I’m not budging on price on a single item. Towards end of day maybe or your buying several items then let’s talk.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

There is a element of people that if offered a $10 bill for $5 they will want to haggle the price down. It’s in their DNA. I find just turning your back and walking away that generally they get the idea that the marked price is the price. If you wanted less you would have priced it that way from the beginning.
    After being in sales for over 35 years I would rather burn stuff than deal with garage salers.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I must be the odd one out. I price things high so when some one haggles me and we agree on the price I actually wanted then we all feel warm and fuzzy. I’ve been doing this for years and it’s the same way I buy things. Seems to work every time for me.

AK Guy

I’ve never haggled. The price is the price. Probably in the minority but that’s how I roll.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I dont understand why some people take it as an insult to ask you if you would take less. All you have to do is say no. No harm in any of it. Most of the time I’ll ask and if they say no and it’s still a good price I’ll gladly pay their asking price. If anyone burned a shirt in front of me because I attempted to barter I’d be the loudest one laughing. That would be hilarious

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I dont understand why some people take it as an insult to ask you if you would take less. All you have to do is say no. No harm in any of it. Most of the time I’ll ask and if they say no and it’s still a good price I’ll gladly pay their asking price. If anyone burned a shirt in front of me because I attempted to barter I’d be the loudest one laughing. That would be hilarious

I would try to barter other items to see if the dumb ass would keep burning stuff

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

I would try to barter other items to see if the dumb ass would keep burning stuff

Or just come to my house I’ll give ya the crap. You should of been around divorce week, you would have needed trailer(s). wink

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Or just come to my house I’ll give ya the crap. You should of been around divorce week, you would have needed trailer(s). wink
    [/quote]

I’ll be up your way all week working. I’ll only ask for beer, and I will even supply that beer. As far as free stuff, my son just re organized that tackle box for tonight’s outing on the river after I get off work

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

He’s a good kid and it was a good investment. Hope he has fun tonight.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’ve never had the time to really look into or host a garage sale, but have heard tons of horror stories as well as remarkable finds for cheap.

I just generally don’t like the idea of strangers on my property asking questions or bartering with me. My brother had one a couple years ago and said that for every “shopper” there was one “snooper” just looking around and being nosey. He even found a guy looking in the windows on the back of his other shed.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I haggle if I don’t feel it is priced right. When we had garage sales we just priced things to sell and get rid of. So everything is priced low. Some people just must haggle no matter what the price is. It also never hurts to ask if they will take less. I just don’t get haggling over pennies. I think half of it is just the entertainment of haggling. For most the point of a garage sale is to just get rid of stuff you don’t use.

I went out for brunch with my wife a couple of weeks ago and on the way home we saw a city block garage sales. What better way to walk off all the extra food I just ate on a nice day than looking at some one’s else garbage. I picked up one item to look at and saw her price was twice as high as the good will price tag on the bottom. rotflol I did get a cast iron flat top for my Coleman camping stove that covered both burners. It was marked for $2 and I didn’t haggle.

JEREMY
    BP

I get the thrill of having a garage sale every spring. I could not handle doing that for a few days. The woman makes a lot of money at them but I still couldnt do it. What got me the little time i spent there this year was how many people would have just a few bucks or less worth of stuff and ask if they can use like pay pal or what ever the hell venmo is. How bout your going to a garage sale get some fricken cash.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.