Ottertail – Mid October – Night trolling Questions

• Gerty

I will be on Ottertail October 10th – 12th. I would like to pull crank baits after dark. I have fished this lake during the day, but have never tried pulling cranks. Was wondering what areas and depth I should target after dark on this lake? I know I need to look at the wind, etc. but in general are there better areas than others to try?

Also, is there a better style and color of bait for Ottertail? In general at this time of year I am pulling Husky Jerks.

Thanks for any info. I really do appreciate the help.

Thanks!

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

While I’ve fished ottertail quite a bit, I have never trolled after dark with cranks. I would target the southeast shoreline break. If I remember correctly that’s all sand and those fish should push up the break to the flat sand after dark to feed. I’ve had good luck on anything that imitates a perch in that lake.

Gerty

Looking at the lake map that is actually one of the shorelines I thought may be good. Thanks for the suggestion and the color tip!

fishingadam54

Hey Guys, I’ll be fishing Ottertail for the first time the first week of October and was just looking general advice on baits, depth and structure for that time of year. We’ll mainly be targeting walleye but if there is a good panfish bite wouldn’t be opposed to chasing them as well. Thanks

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

Sucker minnows on lindy rigs or jigs on the weed edges should get you plenty of fish. Best time of the year to be fishing IMO.

fishingadam54

Thanks Trev, I’ll keep that in mind. Are there good bait shops up that way or should I be looking before I go for bait?

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

Corner Store on west end of the lake will have bait.

fishingadam54

Hey Guys, I’ll be up this weekend and wondering if anyone has any current reports? What are the water temps at? We’ll be on Ottertail and fishing for walleyes. Any info would be great, this we’ll be my first time up there and looking forward to it. Thanks

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Stop in Vacationland Resort and see @trev he’ll have the latest and greatest.

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

Suckers on lindy rigs have been catching fish the last couple of days. Deep edges of the weed lines have been the key.

Gerty

@fishingadam54

How did your trip go? We decided to pull the plug on our trip for this Thursday thru Saturday. Sustained 20mph winds for Thursday night thru Saturday with a feels like of 22-24 degrees. I’m getting to old for that kind of weather. Hope to make it up if we can squeeze out a couple nice days in a row in the near future.

Interested to know if you caught fish.

Thanks!

fishingadam54

It was ruff, lots of wind and rain maid the fishing tuff. We did mange to get 8 walleyes on rigs with sucker minnows in 20′ to 25′ of water.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.