Otter Tail Lake, Vacationland Resort and Sturgeon

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Well I’ll get the butthurt out first. Never saw a sturgeon.

The folks that where walleye fishing said they were breaching all over. We didn’t see a one break surface…not that there isn’t any there…I heard “that’s why they call it fishing and not catching” far to often this weekend.

From the anglers I spoke with, the walleye bite was good. Not great but there were fish hitting the frying pan. One fella from Nebraska caught his first walleye, a healthy 24″ fish. He was pretty happy!

Thursday we arrive and met by Trevor Johnson. We know him has Trev here on Ido. Just as helpful in person as he his on the website. We chatted a bit and he showed us our cabin. Right next to the launch with a few of the main dock and the lake. Loved it!
    Clean and “up Nort” piney feeling. It couldn’t be that old. They’re constructing another new cabin just across from the landing that should be ready next year. This place is busy with folks that I met from Nebraska and Iowa at least while we were there.
    Trev dropped the Solera in and I putted around to the boat lift where I was met by Trev to get me situated the first time.

We didn’t hit the water Thursday. Figured I would get more intel, dinner and a good night sleep then hit er hard on Friday. Nice storm came through about 4 am that did damage South of us. Just gave the Solara it’s first interior shower. I’m trying to talk Dean into letting me trade it in for the 2018 model…now that it has water spots on the inside too.

The FW and I were up at the crack of dawn (about 8:30) heading out to our first Lake Sturgeon Adventure on Otter Tail Lake. We fished deep holes. Like 30, 40, 50, 80 feet deep. We fished around those holes in 6 to 10 fow. Fished saddles, the first hole below the river inlet, sand flats and a few other undefined areas. Not a gibble. I pulled the plug at 10 pm after a beautiful sunset just before I spotted the lightening headed my way. I was on the top end of the lake and new it was going to take some time for me to get back at 15 to 20 mph. Yeah, just like on the river there are people out without lights on…

Had crackers and tea for dinner. FW’s turn to cook.

Saturday we woke up to wind, rain and t-storms on and off all day. I spoke to a fella that knew where they spawn in the spring so we drove over to take a look. Sure looked like a spawning area. More about that later. Checked out a few lakes. Coming from the ‘sippi and St Croix it really cool looking into 5 or so feet of water and seeing minnows a perch swimming around. Water clarity is said to be about 10’.

The FW and I took the hike up to Inspiration Point. There was a young couple up there when we arrived. I asked them if they would take our picture making out at the over look…the girl said how about if we just take a regular picture. LOL! I’ve always wanted to ask that question and now I can take that off my bucket list. )
    It was a short walk up hill to get there and the view was worth it. I’m guessing when the colors start changing on the trees that place will be packed.

Went to the Rusty Nail in Battle Lake for dinner. Skin on bluegill fillets for the appetizer and a BBQ burger for the main meal. Gills were really good, burger was so so and they didn’t have any Hamm’s. But I did get to try the drink called the Rusty Nail. Drambuie, scotch and a fruit flavor of your choice. Tasty, but I think a person should be at home before they have more then one.

The sky cleared up a little and I got out for about 1.5 hours. All I saw was loons, hell divers and a seagull.

More rain coming in so we loaded up the boat for the drive home Sunday morning.

Woke up Sunday to a mirror smooth lake with warm(er) temps giving me the urge to unload and get back out there for a few more hours. Maybe take an extra day…but the FW had different plans. Likely because I shooed her out of the clothing section of Ben’s Bait shop the day before. Paybacks you know.

All in all it was a great 3.5 day get away. Three hours from the East side of St Paul to the launch at Vacationland Resort.
    The FW liked it so much, we booked a week for next year about the same time.

What we’ll do different next year?
    I’m bringing some walleye gear along as trolling raps was producing (and a fillet knife).
    Dropping my hook size down the 3/0, using about a 2 foot mono leader and possible going to less then 4 oz sinker although slip sinker size shouldn’t make a difference. Trev felt that braid doesn’t work for eyes in the clear water of the lake. Could be possible for sturgeon as well.

Less T-Storms and more Hamm’s!

Trev has an awesome place up there and I would recommend Vacationland to anyone for a short or long get away.
    His personality has that “come back” flavor!

Here’s a couple photo’s from this summer’s incidental catches. One is from last week.
    Thanks Trev and Matt from Ben’s Bait Shop for reminding me what they look like. )

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2597.jpg

2. IMG_2598.png

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

So you are the reason my duck hunting got rained out BK, thanks a lot!! grin

Glad to hear you enjoyed the area, maybe next time the fish will cooperate.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Wait! Duck hunting is made for rain! )

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Went to the Rusty Nail in Battle Lake for dinner. Skin on bluegill fillets for the appetizer and a BBQ burger for the main meal. Gills were really good, burger was so so and they didn’t have any Hamm’s.

You forgot to include your fish picture…

Attachments:
    1. restaurant-sunfish.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

LOL thanks Andy! Glad you didn’t grab my “will work for food”! )

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

Hey BK, glad you and the FW were able to come and stay. Too bad you didn’t have better fishing results. Maybe it was your granddaughters way of keeping fish slime out of “her” boat!

Thanks for the kind words; keep in touch and I’ll do the same.

FYI, haven’t dried up the Spam yet, tomorrow! I’ll report back

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

LOL! I was going to leave one on your shelf. Kind of a “BK was here” thing dontcha know.

With a week of fishing next year, I’m sure the sturgeon will come although I still want to look at other points of interest in the area. Inspiration Point has a killer view!

Hopefully I’ll have my walleye reels respooled with mono that’s less then 15 years old by then. )

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.