Otter Hub House Feedback

• nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

You serious biggill? That looks like crap. And it begs the question how was the quality of the stitching compromised elsewhere as well, only come to find out your hub is falling apart after warranty is up.

outdoorsmn

The kiddos destroyed my zipper on my Resort hub. I think it was mostly my fault for cinching it down to tight with ratchet straps in the wind. Either way I called otter last week. It is out of warranty but they gave me a number to a guy that fixes their products, but I can’t seem to get ahold of the guy. I would like to get it fixed sooner than later. Other than that I love the HUB.

I’m not sure I’d blame it on the kids. Otter hubs, specifically the Resorts, are known to have zipper issues. I believe Otter fixed the issue on this years model.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Been following the Otter Hub posts. Actually picked one up at the ice expo this year. (Otter XT Pro Lodge thermal. Paid retail, I am not sponsored) Had it out for the first time this last weekend up on Milly.

First impressions are excellent! Fairly quick and easy set up and tear down even in the -20 air temps and wind! Stayed warm on the low heat setting. Plenty of room for 2 guys and lots of gear. No complaints.

One comment about the small storage bags from the early 2016 posts. They definately fixed that. The bag was very oversized. No problem getting the hub bagged up.

Will let you know how it holds up as the season goes on.

-J.

Emerson

Yep I’ll bite :). I do agree that I could easily snip off all the hanging threads. But from what I have learned over the years, sloppy stitching usually ends up completely failing after some time. But there is a bigger issue then that.

The main problem I have is that one of the doors does not close after being fully open. It’s difficult to show in a picture but if you look closely you can see that the pole is not straight. It’s actually bent downward because the closed door is is putting allot of stress on it. The pic also shows the Velcro pole strap which the pole should be strapped into which is impossible to line up when door is closed. If the door is opened the pole pops straight but then you are not able to close the door again unless you pull in the entire wall of the hub.

Set it up in 5 different locations with the same results. All flat surfaces.

Attachments:
    1. 5A07A663-1CB9-48D1-8139-86EADBE60B23.jpeg

ib_jigged

Emerson, I had the same issue with the first XTH Pro Resort I bought this year, but on both doors. One door had about 12″ of double stitching on a door zipper that was not even on the zipper. The door walls would pop in if you didn’t anchor them and then when anchored, you could shut them. Replacement Otter sent me was better, but the pockets where the poles go into area all frayed and tearing where they cut the “V” into them, they did not melt the webbing after cutting the “V”.

WalleyeWhistle
    Minnesota

My Otter Resort hub (purchased last year) is currently back at Otter for warranty replacement on the zippers. After reading some of the recent threads about the quality of Otter hub shacks in general, I am rather concerned regarding what to expect when the shack arrives.

Emerson

The crappy part of this situation is that I bought this shack through Cabela’s. They do not stock this shack anymore. Also they are not sure when I could get a replacement shack. Great timing seeing that it’s prime time ice fishing season. So then I emailed Otter Outdoors a few days ago and they have not replied yet. You would think they would at least email me back with some feedback right? Nope, nothing…. I am done with these jokers.

WalleyeWhistle
    Minnesota

The crappy part of this situation is that I bought this shack through Cabela’s. They do not stock this shack anymore. Also they are not sure when I could get a replacement shack. Great timing seeing that it’s prime time ice fishing season. So then I emailed Otter Outdoors a few days ago and they have not replied yet. You would think they would at least email me back with some feedback right? Nope, nothing…. I am done with these jokers.

Were you able to return the shack at Cabala’s?

If not, did you submit a warranty claim on Otter’s website?

iceager01
    Redwood County/Scott County

I thought I was the only person having issues with the Otter Hub(s),
    I purchased a resort this year because the lodge I purchased last year was so great, it truly was…
    I am having a zipper issue, it came completely off the second time I set it up.
    I placed a warranty claim on the site two weeks ago and still havent heard a word, this is the second claim I had made this year, the first I simply returned to the point of purchase with no issues.
    So in the meantime I want to fish and Resorts are all sold out everywhere, so I purchase a another lodge because I sold last years (big Mistake, that hub was awesome), anyway I set this one up in my living room and one of the door zippers I can’t get to close without pulling in the wall, just like Emmerson’s, so now what do? Do I take it all apart and shorten the pole or what… It’s really frustrating, especially because I love Otter Sleds/flip houses, been fishing with them since the canvas craft days back in the 70s/80s… Thanks for the vent…

WalleyeWhistle
    Minnesota

I thought I was the only person having issues with the Otter Hub(s),
    I purchased a resort this year because the lodge I purchased last year was so great, it truly was…
    I am having a zipper issue, it came completely off the second time I set it up.
    I placed a warranty claim on the site two weeks ago and still havent heard a word, this is the second claim I had made this year, the first I simply returned to the point of purchase with no issues.
    So in the meantime I want to fish and Resorts are all sold out everywhere, so I purchase a another lodge because I sold last years (big Mistake, that hub was awesome), anyway I set this one up in my living room and one of the door zippers I can’t get to close without pulling in the wall, just like Emmerson’s, so now what do? Do I take it all apart and shorten the pole or what… It’s really frustrating, especially because I love Otter Sleds/flip houses, been fishing with them since the canvas craft days back in the 70s/80s… Thanks for the vent…

If it was me personally, I would return and get my money back. Any modifications you make may void a return/warranty and then you’ll really be in a bad spot.

nu98walleye

I purchased a Resort this year and haven’t had any issues with it besides to cut/burn off some loose thread ends on some of the stitching. Only time will tell how the zippers/hubs hold up after extended trips.

I haven’t worked with otter customer service, but would try and contact them by phone and see what they can do. While i’m sure there are plenty others like myself, happy with no issues it does sound like more than a couple have issues with door zippers not shutting. As for the lodge i would just return it to the store you bought it & hopefully they return it to otter rather than resell it to the next customer.

iceager01

I don’t know for sure what I will do with the lodge, maybe post some pictures when I get the chance, but I just want to get out and fish…, as for the resort, same issues with the first returned resort, poles came apart at the hub…, like one of the earlier posts mentioned; it looked as though someone hated their job, I would tend to agree with that statement, either that or it was assembled early on a Monday or late on a Friday… I sincerely hope I hear from the Otter Crew…

Emerson

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Emerson wrote:</div>

Were you able to return the shack at Cabala’s?

If not, did you submit a warranty claim on Otter’s website?

Yes I have decided to return it to Cabela’s. Maybe next week cuz I done wanna be shackless this weekend :)But agreed, Otter outdoors customer service is embarrassing. I work in retail customer service. If I do not get back to a pissed off unsatified customer the same day that I receive the complaint I would be embarrassed to come to work every day. I mean seriously I am pretty old school but needing to “call” these jokers in order to get service seems unnecessary. This is not 1986… even though I wish it was:) I mean why put a link on your web site for customer service email if your not going to reply to the friggin emails!! All that does is make folks angry.

iceager01

So it’s been three weeks with no response, I will be returning to point of purchase… frustrated…

Emerson

Same here. Returned back to Cabela’s last week. I will never purchase another Otter product. I did however purchase a Eskimo 949I. Used it 3 times so far and I love it. Way better quality then the Otter hubs on every level. Happy days are here again.

iceager01

Well, Otter responded to my claim, it took about a month total with no house but they replaced my Resort Hub with a new Resort Hub which I picked up on the 26th, it is so far a fabulous hub, its like perfect, every seam and zipper is right on spot on perfect….
    Thanks Otter!!

Viewing 16 posts - 31 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.