Still loosing ice

• TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

Lost a lot of ice during that south wind last night. The ice by me and on Manthey’s Bay held up fairly well during the warm spell. Yesterday I walked out about 30 feet in front of my place to check it out. Even with the warm weather the ice has stayed all the way out to the outside of the rushes, which is about 100 yards. Decided yesterday I would venture out at least to the inside of the rushes, which is about 100 feet out. Woke up this morning and no way. With the wind blowing most of the night the ice had melted almost all the way to where I was planning on going and the rest looked bad. So I took a drive around the lake to see what was left and it’s not much. The south end still has some ice out for about a half mile but nothing I would walk on. Miller Bay still has some ice but again, nothing I would walk on. There is some scattered ice along the shore amongst the cattails on the west side and the area over by the outlet for the Sauk River. I was just at Manthey’s Bay Saturday and it was still totally iced over. The ice was thinning a little at the access from the sun. Today it is completely open at the access with about 35 to 40 percent of the bay being open water. Hate to say it but ice fishing might be a little while yet if this wind keeps up.

arklite881south

This last snow followed by another warm spell was a set back for us as well. We have ZERO ice on the main basin. I took a drive around surveying the bays this afternoon. Looks pretty poor I must admit. I put 2 feet on the ice in a few places……BRIEFLY. Here is to NO MORE WARM AND SNOW for crying out loud. My hopes are to creep out one week from today. Dear Santa…………I’ve been pretty good.

callaway

Retired, Have you been able to check ice conditions?

Thanks in advance

TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

Stopped at the access on Manthey’s Bay yesterday. No signs of anyone going out yet. The ice is really rough at the access from all the ice chunks left there by last Thursdays winds. I didn’t check out the lake today but I’m guessing it is probably locked up except for maybe still some open water on the main lake. I think anything north of Crow point is locked up. I was going to walk out from my place today to check it out and do some fishing but the wind was really brutal. Going to give it a shot tomorrow. Will post what I find.

TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

This is how it looked last Thursday out from my place. That whole area was ice in the morning. Aren’t you just a couple places south of me?

Ice out Dec1

TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

That should have been Friday, December 2. Not Thursday, December 1.

TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

I went out today. Had about 8 inches on the inside edge of the rushes where the wind and waves didn’t get to last Friday. Had about 5-6 inches in amongst the ice chunks that the wind piled up. On the outside edge of the area of ice chunks, the part that was open water last Friday, I had a thick 3 inches. Didn’t go out farther as it was getting thinner so I spent a little time fishing the 3 inch stuff. It was only about 4 feet of water, sand bottom, and no weeds so I don’t have any fish pictures to show but it was nice to finally be out. People were going out on Manthey’s Bay and one portable out from the Battle Point access about 100 yards.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.