Opener tactics on the river.

• Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Now that the croix opener is about a week away I was just curious what some of you guy’s go to tactics are. I have a spot we drag flicker shads right away and do go. We always try jigs with only little success. But it’s also the shallower stretches I’m fishing

bzzsaw
    Participant
    Hudson, Wi

My go to tactic early in the season is dragging crawlers. With the early spring, I’m hopeful the fish will cooperate next weekend.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

I’m not a St. Croix guy, but I’d think if water temps slowly rise into next week with warmer air temps, I’d be long lining #5 flicker shads and #5-6 shad raps on any relatively shallow transition spots where the bottom content changes. The few outings we have made in the last 5 years out there have rarely been lights out, but covering water has put some fish in the boat.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I never have a lights out day. But have also never really done bad in my go to spots. Hoping this year will be the same. I can’t wait to get out

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

Putting crawlers in front of fish.

Deuces
    Participant

Sunny equals 5′ or less jigs.

Cloudy pounding deeper seams on possible feeding ledges with heavier jigs.

dbright
    Participant
    Cambridge

In the past I have had decent luck pulling cranks or pitching jigs on the upper part of the lower Croix. Last year we fished the Upper Croix and caught a decent amount in shallow rocky water tight to the banks. Jig and plastics and jig and crawler. I’d say half of are fish came from shore at are campsite. Weather looks nice next weekend.

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

I never have a lights out day. But have also never really done bad in my go to spots. Hoping this year will be the same. I can’t wait to get out

Same….I haven’t spent much time on the Croix the last couple years but it’s always “OK”. Once it gets warm and the bite goes to leadcore I’m out. May and June can be pretty good with a variety of presentations though.

My guess is slow death rigs and cranks would be the go to in a week or so. Cover a bunch of water. Doubtful I can make opener but I’d like to get out.

G_Smitty
    Participant
    New Richmond, WI

will probably start by pitching jigs with meat, dead-stick a minnow off the bottom, and maybe floating a slip bobber, on edges of flats to drop-offs. If that doesn’t work, then trolling… been thinking of pulling blade-baits either on lead-core or behind a dipsy?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

For the St. Croix, i usually start with trolling leadcore, usually #4,#5’s in Shad Rap or JSR. ~2mph. Prescott and North.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.