opener predictions

• rubberduck
    Participant
    east bethel

whats your prediction for what the openers going to be like on the Louis?

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

then never.

rubberduck
    Participant
    east bethel

? Don’t care much about community holes for opener doah .thats why I posted this on st Louis river forum. whistling Gets busy but I can get away from the crowds

xplorer
    Participant
    Cloquet, MN

East winds around 15-25, temps around 35 and a rain/sleet/snow mix blowing sideways upriver frown

At least thats what its been like the last 2 times I’ve gone out on opener.
    I don’t do the rat race on the Louis anymore, got tired of the bumper boats and the circus at the landings (I know, that’s opener alot fo places).
    The last few years I’ve either headed out on Superior and fished the south shore on opening weekend or stayed home.

There is still alot of snow to melt upriver (starting to snow lightly as I type), so that will keep water temps down for awhile. No idea where the spawn will be this far out.
    RD1, how has the fishing been since the floods? I’ve only fished the harbor area (below the Bong) since then, but friends have said the bite still hasnt seemed to recover to pre-flood levels.

houstonbsu
    Participant

About as busy as it will ever be is my prediction. With the late ice out and many local waters that will still be iced over, the river will be one of the only places to fish for opener. I am with Xplorer, I may just head out to the lake and get away from the people.. I will look forward to Monday after opening weekend. As of yesterday, most back bays are still iced over. I believe they will be open by then, but water temps will still be on the cold side. In usual fashion, I anticipate the river will be fast high and maybe dirty as well. Time will tell, JH

rubberduck
    Participant
    east bethel

no rivers anywhere for this guy. either tha pond (superior) or shallow lakes near me

houstonbsu
    Participant

Happy that against all odds, we are going to have open water opportunities! YES!!! This will open the door for fantastic in land lake fishing.

houstonbsu
    Participant

A couple of more sleeps until the gates are re-opened on the ole St. Louie again for this season. We have been up and down the river recently checking things out. A few notes: All docks and public fishing piers are in and ready to rock. We have found floating dead heads in select areas, but ultimately things are clear for channel runs. Stay between markers and utilize updated chips in graphs for navigation. DO NOT chance anything or you will certainly find yourself in a pickle. As far as fishing this last weekend we had water temps of 47 to 56. Shallow back bays held high temps and a few pan fish starting to make there way to do what they are gonna do.. Most the Estuary has a brown dirty tint to it and things will get worse as we are expected to see 4-8 inches of rain and snow the next couple days. I expect the river to be busy as it always is for opener, but fish are scattered as the spawn is mostly over. Especially for the big girls. The lower section is a good chance to catch a trophy. Shallow water and slow retrieves with perfect 10s, smithwick, and husky jerks will be a fun way to tangle. Remember, fish can be vulnerable this time of year, so use best judgement on harvesting. Plenty of 15″ers in the system. Also, play by the rules on the fish sanctuary up top as it is ILLEGAL to fish that area until after 5/18. Good luck and yes we have several openings still available for anglers to experience the St Louis River Estuary with our guide service. Tight lines and great luck be to you! Capt. JH

Attachments:
    1. todds.jpg

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.