Open water options?

• Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

It’s that time of year again when I am getting anxious for the ramps to open along the mighty Mississippi.

I have heard Genoa is open, anyone want to report on the action down south? I haven’t fished here in many years.

We know that Red Wing is open.

Any other “Winona” area ramps getting close? Alma, Fountain City, Trempealeau, Bass Camp?

Thanks for anyone willing to share.
    Dave

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

Belvidere ramp in Buffalo City (upper end) is open, and the look of the river is open all the way to the dam in Alma. Alma landing has ice in close, but shrinking everyday. Ft. City is not open yet. I’ll report if/when it does.

A lot of warm weather/run-off will change much of this quickly over the next 10 days.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Thanks Tim,

I drove up to Bass Camp and that is locked up and will be for a while yet – no surprise. The river is opening and is now open about 20 yards down river from the end of the long wall.

I found a report earlier today that posted this on Dresbach:

“Both ramps were still locked up as of 2/26/2018 at around 4:30PM.

A couple of guys still ice fishing the long rock-wall at the southern launch and the entire bay was still iced over at the northern launch with no fishermen (main channel was almost entirely open).”

Dave

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

Genoa is open and doing really well on plastics or live bait. There is one ramp in La Crosse that could be open if you took a spud to it – 7th St Landing. If you got through, pretty much the entire East side of the river is open to drive up/down. The main Dresbach dam is most likely a week or two out yet – depending on how much rain we get next week.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Alma’s city ramp has been cleared and is open.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Thanks guys,

Bass Camp has about 100 yards of ice yet as of 2:00pm 3/2/18

Dresbach main landing has about 100-150′ of ice yet from what I have been told

I hear that Trempealeau is also still locked up

Fountain City Muni ramp was still locked up

Winona dam landing (Breezy Point) still had about 50′ of ice

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.