Open Water

• joc
    Western and Central, NY

Hi,
    I do a bit of ice fishing for perch and boy I love frying those fillets. But I’m getting anxious for the open water. My favorite body of water allows catch and release fishing after ice-out. The pike bite as soon as the ice is off the lake and there are some darn good sized toothy critters in Conesus as well as some big smallies which usually start biting about 2 weeks after ice-out. Mid-winter and I wish I could get the boat out. Anybody else feel this way?

Brandon Brackey

I am with you 100%, I could care less to ice fish and can’t wait for spring. I see you do pretty well chasing early season pike, do you ever catch them while spawning? I have taken two trips to the Dakota’s chasing pike as the ice was coming off and a good chunk of the pike were spawning and we had a real rough time getting biters on both trips. I do have some really cool pictures of pike spawning so it was not a lost effort.

joc
    Western and Central, NY

Well I don’t mind a bit of ice-fishing for perch. But it’s not as trilling as fishing for big bass and pike. Actually I’ve caught quite a few pike that were obviously filled with spawn. One can tell they were bloated underneath and just behind the head. Fishing for ice-out pike is quite different then fishing for pike in the warmer months.
    I use a very slow jerkbait technique with a ~5 second pause in between jerks at ice-out. Also I just barely reel up the slack, between the small jerks-twitches of the rod tip. Sometime I just see my line move slightly and set the hook. The fish generally don’t hit hard at ice-out and won’t move far to take a bait. Unlike a pike in May-June that will pound it from (3 to 5)’ away. Of course once hooked they don’t act sluggish. I use X-raps and husky jerks that mimic the areas bait fish, but every once in a while I throw a clown or firetiger color. Usually the natural colors work best, but sometimes they seem to like the flash of some crazy color.
    From what I understand they don’t bite when actually spawning, but will take an occasional bait just prior to or after the spawn.
    Hope that was useful.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.