Onyx

• mxskeeter
    Participant
    SW Wisconsin

Has anyone seen or used the new Onyx pdf that looks like a fanny pack but you wear it in front. Seen one and a video at Milwaukee Sport show. It is CG approved also and that surprised me.

Denny O
    Participant
    Central IOWA

A pdf file that is a floatation device? I never wud-a-tunk! rotflol

Has anyone seen or used the new Onyx pdf that looks like a fanny pack but you wear it in front. Seen one and a video at Milwaukee Sport show. It is CG approved also and that surprised me.

CG approved would surprise me too!! chased

Denny O
    Participant
    Central IOWA

Onyx pfd, I was just having a little levity skeeter.
    Was it this one?
    Fanny Pac

Onyx M-16 Belt Pack Manual Inflatable Life Jacket (PFD)

Unique design keeps stand-up paddleboarders (SUP), anglers, boaters, and other paddlers safe without compromising movement!
    16 gram CO2 charge provides 17 lbs. of buoyancy – the oral inflation tube can be used to provide additional buoyancy up to 26.5 lbs. when fully inflated
    Extremely low profile
    1” buckle and body belt
    D-ring attachment for small accessories
    Secure Pull – clips to life jacket; allows for quick release when pulled for inflation
    200 denier nylon oxford protective cover
    Approved for persons 16 years of age and older; and over 80 lbs.
    Use M-16 Rearming Kit (#1370)
    U.S. Coast Guard Approved Type V Life Jacket / Personal Flotation Device PFD with Type III Performance
    SIZE: Adult Universal – Fits 30”-52” chest; up to 52” waist
    Item contains a CO2 cylinder and may not be available to ship to Alaska or Hawaii.

mxskeeter
    Participant
    SW Wisconsin

Yep. That looks like what I saw. I think it was $75. Anyone use one?

B-man
    Participant

The belt style inflatables have been out for some time now.

It’s definitely 100x better than nothing at all, but they don’t work if you’re knocked out and thrown from the boat (hitting a log, struck by another boat, etc). The odds of it are pretty low, but it does happen.

Even if you’re conscious when you fall in, there’s some very important steps that need to be taken in a very short amount of time.

It’s a personal choice as to how much protection and insurance you feel comfortable with.

If I ever got one, I would only wear it while not on plane. The odds of getting KO’d and falling in while trolling or casting has to be an extremely low occurrence. But will a guy have the wherewithal to know what to do after falling into 33° water??

mxskeeter
    Participant
    SW Wisconsin

I was thinking summertime not on plane. Hot out, shirt off for short time wearing it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Mx

You nailed it. Great backup in the hot summer months. Cheap enough too.

Everyone has there own opinion on pfd’s. Me? I’m an auto inflate kinda guy.

I know two guys that have these. I’ll have to check in with them.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

I have yet to go to the auto inflate pfd’s. I have been thinking of making the leap. Questions are, I have heard you should not store them in the boat for fear of the moisture setting them off. If true where do you store them so you don’t forget them? And what about rain? TIA

Charles
    Participant

Would be nice for fall and springtime fishing when you have like 4 layers on.

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

I have yet to go to the auto inflate pfd’s. I have been thinking of making the leap. Questions are, I have heard you should not store them in the boat for fear of the moisture setting them off. If true where do you store them so you don’t forget them? And what about rain? TIA

A lot of guys leave them in their trucks. I personally take mine out of my boat and store it in the garage when not in use. I always have other stuff to unload anyway like coolers, tackle bags….

Have read guys getting drenched and it doesnt go off. I suppose its possible but I dont think it a big concern

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

John, I can only speak of the Float Tech’s.

Because of thhe way the arming device is attached to the vest, the rain flows over and off the cover. There’s an opening in the bottom of the cover where (when you fall in) water can reach the “pill” and the gas fills the bladder.

The very first time out with them, I ran into POURING rain. I imagined all three popping open as we were heading back on a 10 mile run. I have photos someplace of three soaked guys. Not one went off.

These aren’t $30 pfd’s. I have hangers for each one and in the past had them hanging by my door in the camper. Now they are hanging in the cabin of my boat. I would recommend hanging them in your garage or even on the side of your boat to be placed in your truck before you leave for the lake.

Humidity will take a toll on those pills. The company recommends changing them every 3 years when used for recreational use and 2 years for commercial use. I have extra arming kits for that Just In Case that hasn’t happened yet. Also, an arming kit is not needed every two or three years. Just the “pill” and they can be bought separately.

The biggest reason people don’t like the collar style inflatables is the chaffing around the neck. Not all of them do this but there are some that do. Don’t spend your money until you know what you’ll be comfortable with.

This is where the Float Tech’s shine. They are a vest and are the most comfortable auto/self inflate on the market. There’s special pricing going on right now and if you have an interest, shoot me a pm. It’s tough to get a dealer to stock 3-4 sizes of the vests and more colors and sized of the rain proof jacket that can be worn over them.

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

BK do you have a link where you can buy the pills separately? All I see online is a full recharge kit

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Participant
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Everyone has there own opinion on pfd’s. Me? I’m an auto inflate kinda guy.

I know two guys that have these. I’ll have to check in with them.

I’ve had that exact same one for about 3 years now.

BK, not sure if you remember, but you gave your opinion a couple years ago when we went out. An opinion I shared too since I still fish solo in the boat. If you’re rendered unconscious (however that came to be), you can’t pull the cord.

I’ll still use the little Onyx in the hot summer when I have company in the boat.

Otherwise, I’m back to wearing the old Stearns vest if I’m on my own.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Crappie, I don’t know which PFD you have, so make sure you check your owners manual. A short version should be attached to your PFD permanently.

Link to Bobbins and Arming Kits

PS I’ve found arming kits for Float Techs at Farm and Fleet in Red Wing that are a few dollars less expensive then anywhere on line.

mojocandy101
    Participant
    Alexandria, MN

I’ve left mine in the storage compartment of my boat when not in use for the past 2 seasons and it has never went off.

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

Crappie, I don’t know which PFD you have, so make sure you check your owners manual. A short version should be attached to your PFD permanently.

Link to Bobbins and Arming Kits

PS I’ve found arming kits for Float Techs at Farm and Fleet in Red Wing that are a few dollars less expensive then anywhere on line.

Thanks. If memory serves I have a cabelas brand 3500 which I think is discontinued. I’ll check the manual

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Mojo, few things come into play here.

If there’s moisture in the bottom of the hull, when it gets hot the moisture rises. If the bobbin happens to be protected from that moisture, there isn’t a problem. Add a boat cover to the heat and moisture, and it will shorten the life of the bobbin.

This moisture is the same that will cause the mold/mildew on the boat seats.

We had one member that had a heck of a time getting the PFD out of the compartment after it discharged.

Either way, if it’s working for you, no need to change.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.