Only boat at the landing

• fred bartling

My buddy called me last week and wanted to do some fishing on Friday. I let him make the “where” call and he said lets hit Chisago for bass. This time of year I tend to not want to take my fishing time away from the rivers and with dropping temperatures sometime largemouth can be a little lethargic. It wasn’t my first choice. Then the wind was blowing out of the north. But it’s his boat and his gas. Needless to say I was not very enthusiastic.

When we got to the landing we were the only boat and when we left we were still the only boat . After an hour of fishing without much to show I switched over to a 3.5 inch Yumm Tube and size up on weight. Making small casts to the weed edges we still found green weeds and willing fish. We found cooperative fish off of any main land points. My though is that the bass are moving out from shallow areas and hanging out on points. Despite fairly harsh conditions we ended the day with about 8 bass a piece. But with the end of the season, migrating birds and enough fish to keep ones interest it ended up being a really nice day. I was glad to be fishing with my buddy and kinda proud to be the only boat out. Days like Friday remind me of how much I enjoy fishing. Adapting with patience paid off nicely.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I fished Superior last week and we had it all to ourselves as well. It won’t be long before ice fishing wins out and gets all my attention but until then I do enjoy these late season trips quite a bit as the fish always seem to surprise me and having the lake(s) all to myself is quite a bonus!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.