Oktoberfest Pork Schnitzel on Pretzel Bun

• z-man
    Participant
    Dousman, WI

I came across this menu special at a microbrew in San Diego last October, and have made it at home 4 times since, improving it a bit with each try, and just had to share it with my IDO buds. I’ll give the ingredients used at the microbrew along with improvs I made along the way. There are also variations on the net. Important! Best with a Porter beer on the side.

Take a boneless pork chop that will pound down to about 1/4 inch or so. For thicker chops, can slice horizontally in half before flattening. (pork tenderloin was used at the microbrew, as the sammys were served as sliders on small buns). Mix up some Dijon mustard, tsp oil, juice from squeezed lemon wedge or two, salt and pepper in a bowl, dredge the flattened chops in the bowl to get a thin coat on, and let them sit for 15 mins or so while you’re prepping the rest. Fry up some chopped bacon in a skillet (I use a well seasoned cast iron pan) that you will later use to fry up the chops, and set bacon aside when crispy. If necessary, add a little butter to the bacon grease left in the pan, just enough to shallow fry the chop. Pat each side in the Panko, and put into the hot skillet, flipping when first side is done, approx. 4 minutes each side but long enough to cook thru and till slightly crispy.

Now for the sandwich. Pretzel buns or rye work well, but any bread will do. On bottom half of bun, spread a bed of arrugala and douse with chipotle or siracha mayo, topped with the bacon bits. (In place of arrugala, I’ve also tried shredded slaw mix without the dressing, and it worked very well). Place the fried schnitzel on this prepped bedding. On the top half of the bun, spread a generous layer of lingonberry jelly ( I used cherry or raspberry jelly because haven’t looked for the lingon yet), and add pickled onions to the top of the schnitzel before closing the sammy to dig in. (onions course-chopped in leftover brine from Famous Dave’s pickles work great!).

Don’t forget the Porter beer, and dig in!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.