OK,. another GMC Vs Ford debate for Smokers

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I decided I’m going LP and want a second smoker capable of 2 or 3 turkeys or at least 6 racks of ribs at a time.

I had these recommended to me, but by people that got them for Christmas,… and don’t use them much. Not that I don’t trust friends, I just don’t go by reviews of a product only used once or twice. I’ll be using it at least 40-60 times a year. I don’t have time to fabricate my own, so I need a reasonably priced work horse

Dyna-Glo DGW1904BDP-D 43″ Wide Body LP Gas Smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

Pit Boss Grills 77435 Vertical LP Gas Smoker

timjamison11

Randy… I smoke with Propane A LOT and the smoker that use is the Smoke Hollow 38″ Vertical smoker with the glass door. I’m on my second one in the last 10 years. You can do a couple of turkeys and ribs easily. It also has hangers which you can do jerky, and the racks adjust to make it custom fit to what you want to do.

It is a great smoker for the money. I ordered it from home depot for less than $200. Amazon had them but the pricing fluctuates.

My advice is to make sure that it has a chip pan that holds as much wood as possible. This one will go 3-5 hours between refills depending on how hot you run it. to be able to set it and forget it is pretty nice. You don’t want to run back and forth every hour and refill the chip pan. It interrupts the smoke absorbsion. None of those you showed looked like they had a deep chip pan.

I fabricated a roller cart for it as they are a little awkward to move around.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I hear ya on the tiny chip pans. My charcoal units I use now will go about 5 to 6 hours on a load of wood. Perfect for most that I do. I feel weird doing the gas thing, but its the trade off for convenience.

Wonder if the Smoke Hollow and the Dyna-glo are made by the same company? Construction in the Amazon pics look very similar

timjamison11

Its nice to dial in the heat and just walk away. I use remote thermometers to tell me when the meat is done. I also use a thermometer for each level I put meat on. Not to regulate the temp but to take the meat out when its ready.

I soak my chips and then add a handful of the pellets to the top of the chip pan before putting the lid on. It helps restrict the air flow and make the smoke last longer. All the research that I do says meat wont take smoke after 3 to 5 hours anyway.

I usually put 2 pork shoulders on top, that drips down on 3 slabs of ribs, that drip down on chickens, turkey or brisket.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

I have using the smoke hollow 44XL for several years. A lot of meat can fit in there! My only issue is the location of the dual chip pans. The distance is not ideal for good smoke control. If you try to smoke at low temperatures, the chips don’t complete burn and quit smoking well ahead of when they should. At higher 225-250 temps they burn to fast and at 250 would often burst into flames and raise the temps in the smoker well above what I wanted. I ended up doing a mail box mod and burn pellets in the mail box and pipe it into the smoker.

CaptainMusky

I know a lot of you guys are looking for economical smokers, etc and the cost of one of these is likely the same as the smokers you use, but this could honestly help regulate the temp for those that use charcoal/wood.

I hung out with a buddy in Houston, TX over Christmas and let me tell you, it was unreal how this thing worked on his pit. Granted his pit is a $3500 unit that he won on a $100 raffle, but I think one of these would work equally well on cheaper models.

They keep track of the meat in the pit and what you want the temp to be. Automatically adjusting the air intake to increase/lower temp. Pretty crazy. We would open the pit and shut the door and the fan would boost the temp right back to the desired within a minute or two. Granted it wasn’t -20, but it was below 40.

There are models that attach to many of the popular pits you can buy. Something to check out. Wouldn’t be something for the electric or gas guys though.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

GMC, definitely GMC.

Yep! toast
    Pulled pork, Tender ribs, and the fresh smell of diesel!

Attachments:
    1. ribs.jpg

2. 100_4628.jpg

3. 20131108_095434.jpg

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

I enjoy smoking in GMC’s more. Marlboros.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.