Not Staying Logged In

• Bassn Dan
    Participant

Even though I check the “Remember” box at login, I still get logged out frequently. Maybe it’s only me, or has the new site been set so that it logs people off every few days? I know that I’d post more often if I wasn’t logged off all the time…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Are you talking cell phone and what browser are you using.

My Iphone always has my passwords saved along with Safari on my two Macs.
    I have one PC running FireFox without issues.

But I’ve heard others having this trouble as well.
    Just need some more info.

@justdave

Bassn Dan
    Participant

Hi Brian. It’s a PC with Internet Explorer 11 that gets logged off. Maybe it’s another Microsoft “feature” for my security………

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Could be. I’m going to move this post to Questions and Answers so you’ll know where to look if you don’t check your notifications.

Dave Lozier
    Participant
    Amherst, WI

We still need access to cookies – the new “remember me” is based on the old code in that a unique key is stored in your cookies that is used to identify you and automatically log you back in. The cookie expiration is set for 1 year and will be extended to 1 year each time the auto login via “remember me” takes place. So if your session expires here in 2 days and you have the remember me cookie you’ll be auto logged in and the cookie’s expiration will be reset to expire in a year again. (basically this cookie shouldn’t ever reach it’s expiration date)

If you log in from multiple devices and select remember me on each of those devices and then decide to log out on any of them then the remember me cookie will no longer be valid for any of them.

It’s possible that IE isn’t liking the year long expiration date or perhaps some security/privacy software is clearing your cookies? When I was testing the remember me function on staging the only issue I had was that I couldn’t log out after logging in with “remember me”. Every time I tried to log out it would log me back in. (super remembered lol)

I fixed that so I could actually log out on purpose. I’ll run some extended tests with IE 11 on my laptop and see if I have a remember me problem there. Everything is tied to that cookie remaining stored in the browser so if that gets cleared we have nothing to work with.

Bassn Dan
    Participant

I don’t delete my cookies. This is a windows 7 PC (I paid extra to NOT get win8.) If it’s any help, Amazon “remembers” me and I don’t visit there as often as IDO.

This isn’t a big deal, but is kind of annoying and I thought it was worth mentioning in case others were having the same issue.

cougareye
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

I’m having the same issues on IE. I have to log in everytime I visit the site.

ET

Dave Lozier
    Participant
    Amherst, WI

@cougareye – is that with the “remember me” option at login?

justtesting
    Participant

@BassnDan – I logged this account in from IE 11 on Win7 – hopefully I can track this down as it definitely shouldn’t be logging you out like it is.

justtesting
    Participant

I’m not sure what else the problem may be but after my last post on the 3rd I shut this laptop off. Today on the 20th (17 days later) I turned it back on and came back in here. I was automatically logged back in. This is Windows 7 and IE 11. (should work for all browsers – it’s a simple cookie being set/checked.

Bassn Dan
    Participant

No problem for me either since I brought this up. I tried deleting my temp files (as always, NOT including the cookies) and running the virus scan with no issues. I have been visiting here more often lately, if that makes any difference.

In any case, thanks for checking it out and I’m happy to be logged in!

Dave Lozier
    Participant
    Amherst, WI

@BassnDan – that’s good to hear. I do know that there’s an odd “headers already sent” error with one of the site’s plugins but this shouldn’t have any affect on site auth/login functionality. (is on the list to track down and fix though)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.