Northern Pike

• buck-slayer
    Participant

Caught some pike last week. Watched a utube video on removing y bones. Did a pretty good job at it. But they didn’t taste as good as other fish. Would soaking them in milk over night have helped?

tim hurley
    Participant

Really like the actual taste of pike.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I’m not very proficient at removing the y bones of pike, but the taste of them is fine to me as long as it’s not the middle of summer. I pickle most of them and I don’t keep any over the 22-26 inch protected slot.

Dan
    Participant
    Southeast MN

Gimruis brings up the first thing I thought of when reading your post. Do you know about what length these pike were? I would bet you’ll see a lot of folks chime in that pike taste just as good, if not better, than most fish around here.

Also, if you’re a novice at the Y-bones and you did a pretty good job after watching a youtube video, I say nice work.

mojo
    Participant

Northern pike fillets definitely have their own taste. Soaking in milk, or 7-Up or other liquid for a day does take the flavor down a notch, but the basic flavor is still the same, just not as strong. If you are not a fan of that flavor, you may want to try pickling them, or use them in a recipe with stronger flavors like beer batter, Cajun, or Fish Tacos.

Craig Sery
    Participant
    Bloomington, MN

Cut off all the red meat on backside of fillet

Brad Dimond
    Participant

Cut off all the red meat on backside of fillet

x2! Also, keep the small ones, 20 inches or so and only during cold water times.

ganderpike
    Participant
    Alexandria

I clean them as soon as possible, and also bleed. As with any fish, once you let them sit in a 5 gal bucket for hours they get all slimy, and the slime usually ends up all over filets when you clean them.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

Never had a pike that wasn’t better than most fish.

eyeguy507
    Participant
    SE MN

you can tell how good a fish is by not drowning it in batter and oil. i have yet to find a recipe on pike that tastes better than walleye/sauger, perch, crappie or even Cod. i may try again but likely pass due to the slime and taste.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

i grew up on pike….and sunfish!!!!! pike is my 2nd favorite fish to eat. i guess i fail to see what it is thats an issue with the flavor of pike meat.

once there cleaned, i rinse them good, set them in water in the frig overnight and then do whatever it is i need to do with them, eat or freeze them.

so many ways to eat pike, grilled, frilled, baked smoked, and pickled. ALL my pike come from northern minnestoa lakes..winter and summer!!!!

but thats just my opinion!!!!!!!

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Count me in on the pike bandwagon. Aside from the bones, it’s one of my favorites.

buck-slayer
    Participant

My mistakes were not cleaning right away and not cutting red crap out. I’ll try it again.

Dan
    Participant
    Southeast MN

I do what Glenn does, rinse them pretty good to get blood and other bloody things off and swap out water a few times, then the next day after sitting in the fridge overnight they’re looking pretty good.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Pike are abundant, easy to catch, and the bag limit is very liberal. There’s really no reason not to take advantage of this resource.

Dan
    Participant
    Southeast MN

I agree, but for me the fun of having one massacre a crankbait to where it feels like someone took a sledgehammer to it while trolling is my #1 thing.

I do sometimes wish a few 23- or 24-inchers could be kept in whatever that zone is called, but no real complaints for me.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I actually don’t even target them on purpose. I just catch so many when I’m bass or muskie fishing.

Justin riegel
    Participant

I don’t like them much if the meat freezes at all, but freshly cleaned and eaten there are my number 1.

queenswake
    Participant
    NULL

I’m glad to see more people say they keep pike to eat. We need massive harvest of the little guys in order to balance out the lakes. I like eating pike because it’s an easy way of getting the fish to eat without impacting the health of a lake. And they are relatively easy to catch. And fun to catch.

As for the taste, by the time the oil and breading is there, it all tastes good to me. Especially cooked outside over a campfire.

ThunderLund78
    Participant

When cleaning pike I always use an old rag or a bunch of paper towels and wipe off as much slime as before cutting. If your fillet board get covered in slime and your fillet comes in-contact, it will affect the taste without a good washing.

Whether I bleed the fish or not, after rinsing the fillets I always put my fillets in a bowl of heavily iced water and let sit in the fridge for a few hours to overnight before cooking. This will contract the flesh and the fillets will stiffen up – any remaining blood gets purged. I give them one more quick rinse with clean water and then good to go.

Mr Big Eves
    Participant
    Prior Lake, MN

Whether I bleed the fish or not, after rinsing the fillets I always put my fillets in a bowl of heavily iced water and let sit in the fridge for a few hours to overnight before cooking.

I was always taught to do this. Plus dissolve salt into the ice water prior to putting the fillets in.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

For those of you that filet them, do you remove the y bones after you’ve removed the skin, or before? I’ve seen it done both ways.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I’ve switched over to this method of cleaning pike.

Also let them soak in icy salt water for about an hour.

-J.

Hodag Hunter
    Participant
    Northern Wisconsin

Things I learned to make the meat the best it can be.

– Bleed out every fish. Ever fillet a walleye where the first side is bloody and the second it blood free? One fillet is dark and cloudy. The other is white and clear. Which one is tastier????

– NEVER let the slime touch any raw meat. I was taught this in the late 1980’s by a Rainy Lake old timer that loved his Northerns. For years I done it for every fish.

It’s simple and easy.

Dan
    Participant
    Southeast MN

For those of you that filet them, do you remove the y bones after you’ve removed the skin, or before? I’ve seen it done both ways.

I do it before, just get the fillets/slabs off both sides then take the y-bones out.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

I don’t intentionally target them, but often catch a lot from 24-30″ when pulling cranks in the summer. I probably keep 2-3 a year if they catch a crank under the gill plate while thrashing their way into the boat. They immediately go on ice and get bled. The slime is much more manageable when they are cool or cold. Once they are cleaned, the fillets soak in ice water for the remainder of the evening, then I switch out the water and soak them again until mid-day the next day in fresh ice water. After that, they’re rinsed in the sink and deposited into a ziploc bag topped with water and frozen.

When rinsed and soaked in ice water correctly, they are great and I’d put them right there with walleye, sauger, and perch. If they rattle around a livewell for hours in their own slime then are carelessly cleaned, the taste and texture goes downhill.

buck-slayer
    Participant

Going back SD next week so guessing I’ll get more practice on y bone removal and fish prep. Thanks for all the advice.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I’ve switched over to this method of cleaning pike.

Gonna give this a try in the spring.

KP
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

Also let them soak in icy salt water for about an hour.

Salt water? Does this effect the taste?

crossin_eyes
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

Another good tip…If you catch a pike (or just about any fish for that matter) that you know you are going to keep, is cut their throat while they are in the livewell. Bleeding them out right away is not only much less messy when you clean the fish, but the fillets are much less bloody or muddy tasting as well.

Like many have said, I’ve never eaten a pike that wasn’t as good or better table fare than any other fish I’ve had.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.