Northern Iowa Ice fishing

• Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I was wondering if there are any good locations to go in Northern Iowa fishing in February or March? How are the ice conductions around that time?

Michael Johnson

Clear lake in North Central Iowa is always good and the ice holds up well usually into April. Walleyes, crappies and yellow bass are the main targets. Be warned since there are only 3 or 4 lakes in Iowa (haha) it will be fairly crowded. There are lots of fish to be caught though.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Looking to move? If not we may need to review your Minnesotan-ship Rodwork! rotflol

Aboxy17

Clear lake is a good bet big crappies in there.

Rick Janssen

Northern Iowa is a BIG area. There are many smaller lakes and ponds that I fish. Yes, Clear Lake is good, but like stated above it gets pounded. I have much better luck fishing county park ponds and barrow pits etc. I guess it all depends on what you want to catch. Yes, if you are going for walleye you pretty much have to stick to Clear Lake, Spirit Lake etc. If you just like fishing stick with the smaller lakes and ponds.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Looking to move? If not we may need to review your Minnesotan-ship Rodwork!

I want to do an ice fishing trip with Iowa boy. He is just so busy it is hard for him to get away from his shop. So I thought I would come down to him or at least closer. I will bring my auger so there won’t be too many problems.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.