Norsk 15AH vs. 7.5AH for a Vexilar Fl-20

• Steven Krapfl
    Participant
    Springville, Iowa

I am old school and run a Vexilar FL-20 that has a 10 pound battery that has been in the thing since i bought it. i was wondering if anyone out there was running a mechanical flasher with the Norsk battery, and if so, what battery would be best for the unit? I was wondering about charge times, and how long either battery would run the flasher for. Any recommendations or information would be appreciated, thanks!

Steve

MX1825
    Participant

I don’t run a Norsk but I run a Vex fl28 on a Vexilar lithium. Have fished 2 long days between charges.

Coletrain27
    Participant

I have a flx28 with a amped outdoors 12ah battery. I can fish 3 full days without charging. I’ve never tried going longer than that before charging

Greenhorn
    Participant
    Bismarck, ND

My Marcum Brute can run my LX-5 for over two days. I haven’t taken it to its limit yet, so not sure how long it will go on one charge.

tswoboda
    Participant

Not a Norsk but I have cheap 8ah LiFePO4 straight from China and they run my FL12 and FL20 for somewhere between 30 and 36 hours. I’ve used them on 3 day winter camping trips with no issues.

I’d go for the 7.5ah unless you need 4+ full days between charges.

al-wichman
    Participant
    SE Wisconsin

I run the same as Coletrain and have the same results. I regret not switching earlier to lithium.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I am old school and run a Vexilar FL-20 that has a 10 pound battery that has been in the thing since i bought it. i was wondering if anyone out there was running a mechanical flasher with the Norsk battery, and if so, what battery would be best for the unit? I was wondering about charge times, and how long either battery would run the flasher for. Any recommendations or information would be appreciated, thanks!

Steve

You’re looking at about a 0.25 amp draw on your FL20 so you can expect about 30 hours of runtime on the 7.5ah Norsk battery. Unless you plan to make heavy use of the USB ports to power accessories I’d opt for the 7.5.

lrott2003
    Participant
    Wisconsin

Lithium is by far a game changer for flashers. So much weight savings, charging time is reduced and run time is way longer. Add in the USB port and I don’t think you can go wrong. Lead Acid is great if you don’t hole hop… I guess…

Steven Krapfl
    Participant
    Springville, Iowa

Well, thank you everyone for the feedback! Today is payday, and I think I am ordering the 7.5. Thanks again!

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

Came here to recommend the Vexilar lithium battery and when I went looking for a link to paste here, I noticed the batteries doubled in price since I bought mine two years ago.

The Vex lithium 9 ah battery is now $80. Looks like it still may be cheaper than the Norsk and more ah to boot.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.