Nodak Sharpies

• Nick Altavilla
    Participant

Anyone been out to Nodak yet for Sharpies or Huns? Hows it going?

Charlie W
    Participant
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

You don’t need to go to nd for either. Plenty in MN.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

That’s interesting. I would be worried about enough public land here similar to pheasant hunting but you have my interest. Especially with Huns.

blank
    Participant

We’ve been pheasant/duck hunting in south central ND for a few years now and for the last couple of years we’ve been seeing more and more sharptails. In fact, last year we saw more sharpies than pheasants. Not sure what to think about that. We’ll see what this year brings when we head out there in the end of Oct.

grubson
    Participant
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

There may be plenty in western mn.
    The sharp tail population in eastern mn has dwindled to the point that they canceled the season this year.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

I kinda want to try hunting them but Im not sure I would enjoy eating them after what I have heard?
    For instance I would never shoot another Spruce Grouse or Woodcock because I dont like eating them.

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

For instance I would never shoot another Spruce Grouse or Woodcock because I dont like eating them.

I’d have to be starving to shoot another woodcock. Yuck!

ganderpike
    Participant
    Alexandria

Sharpies are top of the list for me. Darker meat as they are strong fliers. Treat like duck, cook medium/medium rare. Very mild and tender. Over cooked, as with most things, will get gamey and leathery.

As for ND, no comparison between ND and MN populations. Thief River Falls area has some good sharpie numbers, but Ive only seen huns once in MN on IA border.

West of Valley City has been okay for sharpies, the farther west you go, the better. North of Bismarck is usually where I start for sharpies.

Attachments:
    1. 8C9752F4-ECE4-4392-A4CA-272D8CB11DCB-scaled.jpeg

Nick Altavilla
    Participant

I kinda want to try hunting them but Im not sure I would enjoy eating them after what I have heard?

They are great, nice white grouse meat. Cream of mushroom soup with potatoes, wild rice, celery, carrots etc. in the crock pot on low and you’re in business!

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I always thought that about a goose too. Good for pothole filler and that’s about it.

Nick Altavilla
    Participant

I’ve seen them in Central/N.Central ND which is where I’ve mainly hunted for birds, kind of remote country not many people upland hunt. MN doesn’t even stand a chance against ND. So much public land, less hunters, can walk for miles and boy are there birds. I am looking to expand my territory and get out west of Sakakawea and into some grassland/badland type country, anyone have experience in this?

I have a 1.5 yr old Small Munsterlander and last year was our first year out so I am itching to get her back on prairie doing her thing!

Timmy
    Participant

They are great, nice white grouse meat.

You must be getting different birds than I have gotten. The sharpies I have shot were very dark meat. They made a spruce hen breast look light…

Probably the most fun upland wingshooting I have had, though. They really know how to use the wind to get away.

tegg
    Participant
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

We used to shag a few sharpies on the swamp edges while deer hunting in east central MN. It’s pretty rare to see them anymore. As noted earlier in the post the season has been closed in the MN east/north east region.

My recollection is both sharpies and huns are dark meat. Depending on your preferred taste they may not be to your liking.

Jensen
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

I always thought that about a goose too. Good for pothole filler and that’s about it.

Need to figure a better way to cook them then. All wild game is awesome or bad depending on how its treated after its shot and how its prepared to cook

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Need to figure a better way to cook them then. All wild game is awesome or bad depending on how its treated after its shot and how its prepared to cook

I’ve tried, believe me. Its just not edible. Whenever I make it with something else, I eat everything else and try to choke down the goose lol. Wrap it in bacon…end up eating the bacon and tossing the goose. Even my dog won’t eat it, and she’s a bottomless pit.

My Grandpa always said “There’s only one way to cook a goose. Put it in the oven with cow sh**. When its done, you eat the sh** and throw away the goose.”

I don’t shoot many geese anymore but I’m open to any recipe/preparation suggestions you may have. I don’t want to sidetrack this thread as its primary purpose is Sharptail Grouse.

Brittman
    Participant

Duck, goose and prairie grouse are all fine table fair.

Sharptail grouse are as dark a meat as any … darker than mallard and goose for sure.

Nick Altavilla
    Participant

My bad, been 2 years since we targeted Sharpie… We ended up having a blast of a trip. Hunted north of Medina, ND and we were able to get 5 sharpie total on an evening and morning hunt. The evening hunt they held tight for my pointer and I was able to get in great shooting positions.

Personally I am big on brining birds. Salt, sugar, minced garlic and then ill throw cut up onions in the brine too. I shot some woodcock this past weekend and had the sharpie and woodcock brining in a bag and cooked the woodcock yesterday with onion, mushroom, two strips cut up bacon and some worchester sauce and was surprised how well it tasted! I shot some woodies opening weekend and ate them pretty plan with a flour coating, boy did those suck. So earthy when they’re plain. Sharpies will be grilled tonight with just salt and pepper, brine takes care of the rest.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.