Newbie question on rods/reels

• Karl Hungus
    Participant
    Carver County, Minnesota

Advice needed on adding ONE…just ONE rod/reel this spring. I retired and am now able to get out a few days per week mostly on west twin cities metro lakes like Waconia, Minnewashta etc. I was not brought up a fisherman so my knowledge/skills are limited…mostly reliant on friends and this forum. So I purchased the widely panned and shameful Ugly Stik a few years back in a 6’6″ medium/fast paired with a President 30 series reel as my single, “do it all” setup. I feel like this combo may be adequate for casting shad raps/similar crank baits but I think I need to upgrade or add something. I’d like to get into something more panfish friendly and it appears in my price range, the St Croix “panfish” in a 7′, light/extra fast paired with either a President 20 series or Daiwa Revros LT 2000 would be a good choice. Or, if you were me and could add ONE new rod/reel what route would you take given my situation? I realize there isn’t a one size fits all scenario but I’m looking for a baby step approach at this point.

Joe Jarl
    Participant
    SW Wright County

IMO, that 7′ LXF setup would be a great choice. Would work for all of your panfish techniques and could also be used as a slip bobber or rigging setup for walleyes depending on what line you spool it with.

Rodwork
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

IMO, that 7′ LXF setup would be a great choice. Would work for all of your panfish techniques and could also be used as a slip bobber or rigging setup for walleyes depending on what line you spool it with.

x2

Don’t be afraid to buy secondhand equipment to save some money. You are coming to the time of the year where people start to go thru their stuff and unload things they haven’t been using. Just make sure to inspect the reel.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

That would be a great rod combo. Also could consider looking at two less expensive rods, which would allow you to have yet another option like a med light for walleye if you ever plan to fish for them. I recommend looking at tackle 13 Defy rods for the money they are pretty nice. Also Fenwick makes the HMG its a little more expensive, but they are nice also.

mrpike1973
    Participant

I would second the 13 Defy rods affordable and as sensitive as other rods double the price. I don’t think you can go wrong with any Daiwa spinning reels I even have a Daiwa Crossfire $30 very solid reel and good drag. The light rod would be excellent. I’m not a fan of St Croix only on the basis to me they are heavier than other rods however as you said you will only be fishing a few times a week for me I may hold a rod for 8 hours straight 3 days in a row. Darn the luck. I would still say they are good rods just my opinion. Enjoy your retirement and fishing. I have 2 13 Black Omen rods they are a little spendier $120 6.10″ medium light I use these 95% of all my fishing for bass Ned rigs, wacky worms, small cranks. Use them for all my panfish needs as well and slip bobbers. The 13 Defy would work just as well. Lots of great advice on here.

Hodag Hunter
    Participant
    Northern Wisconsin

I too am trying the retirement thing and just bought a few set ups. All RevrosLT 2500 ($50) and St. Croix Victory rods ($200). VS71MLXF – VTS73MXF (mostly crankbait) – VTS710MLXF. I have a Revros 2000 for ice fishing and think it’s a little small.

I have about a dozen G Loomis rods but wanted a few longer. Last summer I bought a St Croix AvidX 7’MLXF – My favorite jigging rod to date. This year I went to buy a longer rod or 2 and they are discontinued.

So I went with Victory. Looked at Eyecon ($140) (made in Mexico) and the Victory was a major upgrade. I looked at Legend Tournament Elite ($440-490) too but IMO not as much of an upgrade from the Victory. Certainly not a $200+ difference.

I mostly use jigs and some crankbaits (Flicker Shad etc). I tried #10 Sufix 832 on the AvidX last year and was very happy. The new rods will have #8 & 10 Flo Yellow 832.

duh queen
    Participant

I’ve been using the St Croix premier series for years. The 6’6″ PSU66LF2, and 7′ ps70ulf2 are my go-to rods for nearly everything I target under the 5lb range. They’re light, super sensitive, and come with a great warranty. Cost a bit more than many rads, but well worth it. If you’re ever in the Parkfalls Wi area, stop by their factory and try a few out. You can even buy blems for about 50% of retail. I regularly land 20″+ SMB , 25″+ walleyes, and 30’+ pike (almost all caught by mistake) while using 4lb test. I have heavier stuff, but really like fishing the ultralights. 15 series Shimano Symetre were the reels of record, but those are discontinued. Since you’ve already got a 30 series reel, I’d opt for a 15 series president for balance. If a reel is too heavy, it just doesn’t feel right.

Karl Hungus
    Participant
    Carver County, Minnesota

Thanks for the feedback. I am intrigued by the 13 rods a couple on here recommended. (admittedly because of price and my lack of knowing what the hell I’m doing) Their “Fate” model at $80-85 is certainly tempting. Was looking specifically at the 7’1″/7’2″ in light or med light/fast. Seems like they’d be a good panfish setup with a Daiwa Regal LT 1000/2000 or President 2000. At $85 for a rod + $50-60 for a reel, I’m in “bargain” territory and not out much if I snap one in half or something equally stupid. On the other hand…I worked in the commercial construction trade all my life and understand the value of buying the best you can afford. I can tell this is going to bother me the rest of the day…good thing its crappy outside.

tswoboda
    Participant

Since you’ve already got a 30 series reel, I’d opt for a 15 series president for balance.

Size 20 is the smallest Pflueger makes, and that is similar in size to Shimano 500. Size 25 Pflueger would be ideal for what the OP is looking for. Reel sizes across different manufactures is silly and confusing..

Karl Hungus
    Participant
    Carver County, Minnesota

For clarity, I’ll hang onto the embarrassing Ugly stik/Pflueger President 30 as a crank/swim bait caster for the time being. I’ll hide it when I launch/reload the boat to avoid the shame and glares from others at the landing!

AK Guy
    Participant

For clarity, I’ll hang onto the embarrassing Ugly stik/Pflueger President 30 as a crank/swim bait caster for the time being. I’ll hide it when I launch/reload the boat to avoid the shame and glares from others at the landing!

The Ugly Stik has it place. In fact, it’s the number one sold rod line in Alaska. Tough rod, for tough conditions. I didn’t own one until I loaned a friend a Gloomis GLX and he broke the tip off. I now own 4 of them and let less experienced and small children use them. It’s given me piece of mind.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

I have two panfish rods that I admit is mostly bobber fishing or dragging a jig behind the boat. Both are in the 6’6 to 7’0 range and both ultra light. I am adding a light this year.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

I didn’t own one until I loaned a friend a Gloomis GLX and he broke the tip off

Former friend I assume. flame I would toss someone out of the boat for breaking one of my Loomis rods.

B-man
    Participant

I have a 7′ light Fenwick Eagle paired with a 1000 size Sahara that I love using.

Great for casting small jigs, bobber fishing, and tossing micro crankbaits.

It would also be a great rod for finesse fishing walleyes with Lindy’s.

Rodwork
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

There is no reason to be embarrassed about having an Ugly stick. They have their place and most of us have had or still have one or two.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

There is no reason to be embarrassed about having an Ugly stick. They have their place and most of us have had or still have one or two.

Agreed. I had, maybe still have an Ugly Stick that I used for bass fishing for the longest time.

Hodag Hunter
    Participant
    Northern Wisconsin

Fenwick make a nice rod in the $100 range you could look at.

Karl Hungus
    Participant
    Carver County, Minnesota

Yeah unfortunately looked at Fenwicks a while back and they’re all gone in anything I’d be looking for. Virtually everything on their site is out of stock. Maybe they are affiliated with Humminbird LOL!

Ron F
    Participant
    Rochester MN

I see on Scheels web site the Fenwick HMG is going to a new blank this year and is $20 or so higher than last year. I haven’t seen one of the new ones yet. There are probably still some of the previous versions available at the $100 price but your choices may be limited.

Greg C
    Participant

Fenwick hmx is your price range

chuck100
    Participant
    Platteville,Wi.

Try looking at SixGill rods.I’ve heard good things about them.I don’t know if it’s still going on but they had a BOGO deal going on.
    If they have that deal you could get a L and a ML.

PmB
    Participant

Fenwick Eagle and Pflueger Trion Combo

slipperybob
    Participant
    Lil'Can, MN

I have no shame in using an Ugly Stick, I have nearly a dozen of them for panfishing to catfishing. When I got into slip bobber fishing more and using artificial lures, I had stumbled onto a St. Croix Premiere 6′ Light power rod and that started a chain of better rods and reels for me. Unless I’m using really small bobbers, my bobber rod is typically on a Medium power rod.

Personally I would use a Pfleuger in size 25 over 20. A Shimano size 1000 is the smallest I would use too. I just prefer those sizing for panfish.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

What do you fish for, and how do you fish them? I like the St. Croix premier lineup and think they are a good value. As far as which model it depends on what you want to use it for. I find a medium fast or extra fast action is my preference for an all around auto.

Karl Hungus
    Participant
    Carver County, Minnesota

Well I went ahead with a St Croix panfish 7′, light/x fast. That one seems to check the boxes and I was actually able to find them in stock. I know there may be better rods out there but again, I’m pretty green still at this point. Still undecided on a reel but heading to look tomorrow at either another President 2000 or Daiwa 1000. This should be a nice crappie/gill setup without breaking the bank. Thanks for all the advice!

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

Well I went ahead with a St Croix panfish 7′, light/x fast. That one seems to check the boxes and I was actually able to find them in stock. I know there may be better rods out there but again, I’m pretty green still at this point. Still undecided on a reel but heading to look tomorrow at either another President 2000 or Daiwa 1000. This should be a nice crappie/gill setup without breaking the bank. Thanks for all the advice!

Congrats that is an awesome rod.

mojo
    Participant

I have a St. Croix Panfish series rod in 7’0″ Light/X-Fast and it’s a spectacular rod, but I find it to be just a bit stiffer than ideal for a dedicated panfish rod, possibly feels a bit stiffer due to the extra-fast action. I have a 1000 series Symetre on it still. Very nice combo. And certainly capable of being a light walleye rig as well, just be careful with how much weight you load on it, they are somewhat delicate, and adding a bobber or start throwing walleye-sized jigs, you could definitely over power it. Only 5 year warranty on the Panfish series.

This year, I saw the new Fenwick HMG in 7’0″ UL and when I held that, that is what a dedicated panfish rod should feel like to me. So I bought one. The action is listed as Moderate Fast, so it’s definitely whippier than the St. Croix. It has a true ultra light feel.
    I’ve tried a few of the Chinese reels from Amazon over the last few years, and I’ve been impressed. I added a 1000 series Cadence CS5 reel to the new Fenwick. Awesome reel for around $50 (they had a coupon this winter for $42).

Now just waiting for the weather and ice to cooperate.

chuck100
    Participant
    Platteville,Wi.

Nice rod KH,good choice.I have an Avid L-fast and like the 1000 shimanos.I think it’s just right for my 6’6″ Avid.

mxskeeter
    Participant
    SW Wisconsin

The Croix panfish rods are nice rods. Take it with you when buying your reel to mount it for getting the right feel/balance of the new combo.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.