New Window ???

• Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Close to picking a replacement window for our 35 year old home. All Casements. Only a couple of the lower level windows will be replaced, so planning on a Pella Lifestyle wood/ aluminum clad window for the few there to look close to the other existing. This looks like the entry level Pella line, but hoping it is still pretty good?

Upper level, leaning towards changing it over to white interior vinyl… bathrooms, bedrooms, not wanting to maintain wood in the long run and maybe save some cost if it isn’t a detrimental thing to do. Anyone have experience with Pro Via Endure vinyl windows? I keep reading they are an excellent door manufacturer and doing a good job on windows as of several years ago.

Trying to keep it all affordable and still build in some quality…

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

You should order soon unless these are in stock somewhere, the last I heard custom orders are about 4 months behind for some manufacturers. Get something with a good seal and a tight fit, windows and doors cost people a lot of money through heat loss from leaky assemblies

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

I had all new ProVia windows and siding on my house last summer. White vinyl inside and out. No complaints so far. I got prices from 3 different contractors and in the end the provia windows were the middle of the road price wise and had the best warranty. They will replace it for free if it leaks or breaks for life.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Chuck, I do not like vinyl windows. Did you look into the fiberglass ones from Pella?
    Impervia

Chuck Melcher

I started with fiberglass as a key interest- w Pella lacking options for a brown exterior to match other windows then in wood or white….inside, they came off and Provia vinyl rose to the top of options.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Chuck,
    Are you doing the Install?

Chuck Melcher

No, doing siding, patio door and all. Being it would all be new to me I accept the fact that hiring it out is the best bet. Found a good team for the work that is reasonable as well

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Keep in-mind that a window is only as good as its installer and thus is the number 1 reason for failure regardless of brand.

On my second job the yard definitely sells more Andersen and Marvin than anything else. We just put Marvin wood windows in our build and are very impressed by the fit and finish of everything. Depending on budget, I’ve worked with Hayfields as well. They’re definitely a budget window, but seem to hold up reasonably well.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Keep in mind –
    New construction = build opening to fit window
    Retrofit = build window to fit opening

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

^Yes.

Get someone you trust taking measurements and who has experience installing the windows out to see the project ahead of time. If you trust them to install them, I’d trust them to help you pick a window line.

Our old neighbor from the house in town was impressed with Renewal by Andersen, but I’d assume they paid a pretty penny for them.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.