New used truck for me

• Stanley
    Participant

One of the reasons we got the Ford we did was it had the 6.5ft box and was a 1/2 ton crew cab. Couldn’t go smaller since this truck may replace by current one down the road. Having 2 pickups now is kind of nice

Joe Jarl
    Participant
    SW Wright County

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>isu22andy wrote:</div>
    Until the other manufacturers start making aluminum body’s I think Ford will have the nod to me . Nothing kills resale like rust I think .

Aluminum corrodes just as easily as steel does. I see tons of expeditions where the rear hatch is eaten completely through. Plus the aluminum body panels are a bitch for body shops to work on so insurance is typically higher.

Sorry, no offense, but this is incorrect. “Unprotected” aluminum corrodes just as easily as steel. I challenge you to find a photo of a corroded F150 body built 2015 or after. By looking at old expeditions and using that logic I wouldn’t touch a Tundra either because the frames rusted out on the early ones.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Sorry, no offense, but this is incorrect. “Unprotected” aluminum corrodes just as easily as steel. I challenge you to find a photo of a corroded F150 body built 2015 or after. By looking at old expeditions and using that logic I wouldn’t touch a Tundra either because the frames rusted out on the early ones.

How many trucks of any brand have you seen rusted out that are 2015 or newer? I cannot say I have seen a single one unless it had body damage. The expeditions I have seen were not even that old. They were probably 2012 or newer, but I am not a Ford guy so I dont know the subtle changes in years, but definitely were the body style before the current one.
    I actually just did a search and there are TONS of posts of people complaining about corrosion and bubbling paint on Expeditions newer than 2016 and even F150 owners with endgate issues.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

I wouldn’t touch a Tundra either because the frames rusted out on the early ones.

I think that was just the older models.

Joe Jarl
    Participant
    SW Wright County

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joe Jarl wrote:</div>
    I wouldn’t touch a Tundra either because the frames rusted out on the early ones.

I think that was just the older models.

It was and I was just trying to make a point to CM. I would have no problem buying a Toyota.

Stanley
    Participant

Hopefully I can help a little with the rust/corrosion thing as I do body work. Aluminum does corrode even if painted like steel rusts. 05-14 f-150 hoods are aluminum and they do corrode, dodge caravan hoods are aluminum and corrode. 14 and up gm 1/2 ton trucks have aluminum hoods but have not seen them corrode yet. 15+ f-150 all aluminum and I haven’t seen them corrode yet. I think the manufacturers are finding better ways to keep them from corroding but aluminum does and will corrode. I work in a small town with one gm dealer so I mainly see gm vehicles, probably 20-1 gm trucks compared to Ford or dodge. Rust starts from the inside of the panel and works it’s way out. I have done numerous box sides where the outside looks clean and after I cut it off it’s rusty on the back side. Some GM trucks (19+) have aluminum doors (certain trim levels) musky I bet your door are aluminum on your new truck. Only time will tell if aluminum is the answer but for now it’s all junk jester

CaptainMusky
    Participant

musky I bet your door are aluminum on your new truck. Only time will tell if aluminum is the answer but for now it’s all junk

Ill have to take a magnet to it LOL

Ben Sehr
    Participant

Mind if I ask why 2021? I have a 18 and 19 that I have been eyeing up.

Ben Sehr
    Participant

My previous post about why a 2021 tundra was for Browndog.

tswoboda
    Participant

’22 switched from 5.7 v8 to 3.5 v6 twin turbo

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

’22 switched from 5.7 v8 to 3.5 v6 twin turbo

Yeah I would wait a few years to see if Toyota gets the turbo thing right or not.

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

Ram also will be going 500hp in-line 6 Twin Turbo in 2023. Hemi is retired again. frown

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Yeah I would wait a few years to see if Toyota gets the turbo thing right or not.

There were issues early on but I believe they’ve been resolved.

stout93
    Participant
    Becker MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joe Jarl wrote:</div>

How many trucks of any brand have you seen rusted out that are 2015 or newer? I cannot say I have seen a single one unless it had body damage. The expeditions I have seen were not even that old. They were probably 2012 or newer, but I am not a Ford guy so I dont know the subtle changes in years, but definitely were the body style before the current one.
    I actually just did a search and there are TONS of posts of people complaining about corrosion and bubbling paint on Expeditions newer than 2016 and even F150 owners with endgate issues.

Exactly…how many rusted out cars/trucks do you see nowadays versus in the 80s..it was rampant back then…

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Exactly…how many rusted out cars/trucks do you see nowadays versus in the 80s..it was rampant back then…

it’s kind of wild there are certain vehicles that seem to be prone to rusting I am currently driving a 2003 GMC envoy with 255000 miles and there is ZERO rust on it. None. I can’t say I’ve seen a single one that had rust on either.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

The keypad on the door of the Ford is a selling point for me. It would be difficult for me to go back to a vehicle without it to be honest.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

The keypad on the door of the Ford is a selling point for me. It would be difficult for me to go back to a vehicle without it to be honest.

do they still do that? Most vehicles now you walk within range and they unlock nothing easier than that.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

do they still do that? Most vehicles now you walk within range and they unlock nothing easier than that.

I am pretty sure Ford has a patent on it. I’ve never seen any other make with it.

Are you saying that the door unlocks on its own without the keys or FOB when you approach it? That’s wild. Does it just sense that’s it’s you or how does that work.

Stanley
    Participant

On our Ford if you have the fob in your pocket there is a button on the outside handle you push and it unlocks the drivers door and when you get out you can push the button with the fob on you and it will lock all the doors.

tswoboda
    Participant

Does it just sense that’s it’s you or how does that work.

Retina scanner in the door handles

CaptainMusky
    Participant

No you have the fob in your pocket and touch the button on the handle to unlock. It was my first experience with it this week when I checked out my new truck. Pretty common. I think the keying on the outside is archaic. My new truck doesn’t have a key. I’m getting it tomorrow and I’m pretty dang excited.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

Keypad on the door? jester Welcome to 2022 not 1992.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”><a
    Keypad on the door? jester Welcome to 2022 not 1992.

Lmao

isu22andy
    Participant

If you have a bed cover wait till your tail gate freezes shut to the bed cover on those fancy chevy tail gate latches . You just can’t yank them open now . I’ve been out there chipping ice on mine a time or two .

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

If you have a bed cover wait till your tail gate freezes shut to the bed cover on those fancy chevy tail gate latches . You just can’t yank them open now . I’ve been out there chipping ice on mine a time or two .

Use silicone spray across the connecting points

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

So you still need to carry the fob then. Kinda missing the point. I don’t want to carry that thing around sometimes.

I have no idea what the 1992 comment means either. I was like 8 years old at the time.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Yes you need to carry the key fob otherwise you can’t start it. No keys anymore. So you just walk around with a key and no fob?

KPE
    Participant
    River Falls, WI

That Toyota V6 is already a proven powerplant from my understanding. It’s been in some of the Lexus platforms for a few years now, granted this one will obviously be tuned and cammed for a pickup application. I’d probably go that route over the others if I were going to do a V6.

GM’s inline 4 gasser was actually fun to drive off the line due to the massive torque, but it fell short when trying to pass at highway speeds imo. Overall I was impressed by the output that little thing kicked out but not enough to ever buy one.

Netguy
    Participant
    Minnetonka

Ill have to take a magnet to it LOL

Careful CaptainMusky, you might nick the paint a create a spot for rust/corrosion to start. lol

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Yes you need to carry the key fob otherwise you can’t start it. No keys anymore. So you just walk around with a key and no fob?

No, I walk around with nothing. My keys and my fob stay in the glove box or center console.

Keys and fobs are just something else to lose and they are expensive to replace so in certain situations like when I’m hunting, I leave them in the truck and use my keypad to enter.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.