New side by side question

• belletaine
    Participant
    Nevis, MN

I got a Polaris Ranger and would like to mount a Helix 7 on the dash for ice fishing. For those of you that have done this what worked and what didn’t? I know Ram makes a suction cup mount but not sure how it would handle bumpy rides. If I mount with bolts I’d think I’d probably use fender washers for stability.

I also had a thought… the ranger I bought has like a 7″ “infotainment” screen. It has GPS and you can see where other riders in your group are at on the trails etc…

It sure would be great to just plug a mapchip in and be good to go. This would also be fantastic in trucks and cars. I’m kinda surprised that Navionics hasn’t pursued something like this, or maybe they have. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Jason
    Participant

I leave my Helix 7 in the case and just set it on my dash in my Defender Cab. It rides there pretty good. Im not sure if the Rangers have a flat enough dash though…

deertracker
    Participant

Do you have a windshield? I was going to mount one on a friend’s machine on the top roll bar between the driver and passenger. It will come down on a RAM mount and can be pushed up to the roof to get it out of the way.
    DT

belletaine
    Participant
    Nevis, MN

Do you have a windshield? I was going to mount one on a friend’s machine on the top roll bar between the driver and passenger. It will come down on a RAM mount and can be pushed up to the roof to get it out of the way.
    DT

It does,James, the tilt out kind. I thought about the roof as well. Do you happen to know which ram would work for that?

belletaine
    Participant
    Nevis, MN

Thanks for posting them DT, I appreciate it!

Ryan Haller
    Participant

I repurposed a horizontal SeaSucker rod holder that was a suction cup mount. Bolted a ram mount onto the suction cup mount. Slapped the suction cup on the dash of my ranger 900 and put my helix 5 on the ram mount. Didnt want to drill holes in the dash and wanted it dash mounted and adjustable. It worked great and never came off. Suction mounts can work.

dbright
    Participant
    Cambridge

The dealer my buddy bought his ranger from this fall claimed they are working on get navionics to work on the screen in the dash.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

I have mine mounted on my roll cage just up and to the left of my steering wheel. I cut a small one by one and painted it black and attached that to the bar with U bolts. I then attached a regular ram mount to the wood block that is maybe 3*3. Easy to remove and no drilling of holes. Sometimes when I hole hop fast I attach a ducer drive drop in hole fish a few minutes and move to next hole without leaving the seat. Just an option.

bigpike
    Participant

Just out of curiosity how are you going to use the other features on the helix if its mounted to your machine?

Ripjiggen
    Participant

Not sure if he plans to use for more than just navigation but I drive up to a hole and toss my ducer in the hole and fish.

belletaine
    Participant
    Nevis, MN

Just out of curiosity how are you going to use the other features on the helix if its mounted to your machine?

I’m just thinking of a helix 5 purely for navigating lakes.

I’ve only had it a few days so I’m in peak accessorizing mode. doah

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.