New Okuma ABF-20 Baitfeeder doesn’t feed very easy

• BoatsHateMe
    Participant
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

Got my new Baitfeeder for my new iFish Pro which I put on my new Fenwick Elite Ice 36” MH Rod (seeing a trend here?) I spooked it up with some braid (have since come to question this but oh well) and a floro leader. I was all excited to feel the line easily feed off of the spool but when I began to pull it was coming of with quite a bit of resistance, far more than I’d anticipated. I double checked the rear drag, cycled it both directions just in case it freed it up a little to no avail.

After playing with it I did learn about a couple of things that I need to be aware of when setting this. If you reel forward to take off the free spool and stop there, this is not a good position to open the baitfeeder. It pulls off really hard right there. Reel forward just a bit and it gets easier (still not easy enough. Also, make sure the spool comes back down to its lowest position. Here it pulls across the roller much easier rather than if the spool is further forward as it creates more friction and pull on the roller (see pic).

Even with taking these steps I still am wondering if this is as easy as this should get. I thought James had said that this baitfeeder will work in th iFish Pro for both Walleyes and crappies (among others). But I’m pretty sure this won’t work on a light walleye bit or on any crappies.

What are your experiences with this? Video shows it pulling on the MH Rod with a reasonably stiff tip as I pull it off with the spool in the optimal position.

Attachments:
    1. 5C85CCCA-11ED-4ADD-AF8D-3CE3EEF9606F.jpeg

Jamin
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

Huh. Mine has been great. No issues. Even had small 4-5” perch pulling line easily last week when I was forced to fish with small fatheads.

I know a new reel shouldn’t require it, but maybe a re-grease would help? Or exchange for another to see if you have better luck?

Either way hope you find one you’re happy with because I really like mine. And if you decide/need to sell it, let me know.

BoatsHateMe
    Participant

Yeah this would never let a perch take line, not the kind of perch that bite my line anyway.

I’ve read here that these don’t come apart quite so easy like a standard spinning reel so a regrease is not in my playbook.

I’d consider an exchange from Amazon but like a dumbass I tossed the box already. flame

Jamin
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

Not my typical style, but order another and return the defective one in the new box? Just mark it as defective when setting up the return so that (hopefully) it doesn’t go back out to someone else.

I mean what else can you do. You deserve a properly working item and you’re being truthful with the return.

Beast
    Participant

My guess it’s the braid digging into itself, but I’m only guessing.

Jamin
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

Pretty sure in previous thread James said he was running Sufix 832 braid on his IFP setups.

BoatsHateMe
    Participant

Not my typical style, but order another and return the defective one in the new box? Just mark it as defective when setting up the return so that (hopefully) it doesn’t go back out to someone else.

I mean what else can you do. You deserve a properly working item and you’re being truthful with the return.

This way I’d have a pretty good idea how loose it should spin too.

Pretty sure it’s not the braid. Even when I slowly pull straight off to the side or turn the spool by hand, the effort is the same. Even seems to get just a bit harder in the same place on every rotation.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Pretty sure in previous thread James said he was running Sufix 832 braid on his IFP setups.

That’s correct. If the line doesn’t come off the reel in baitfeeder mode with almost zero resistance… something is wrong.

milemark_714
    Participant

Classic symptom of too much lube in the wrong place.Either return it,or clean/relube.I got 3 Ceymar C10 reels,2 passed the freezer test,and one failed.It passed with flying colors when relubed.

Mike Martine
    Inactive
    la crosse wis

I have the exact same situation . Interested to hear more replies

Mike S.
    Participant

I have zero issues with mine. I have fluorocarbon line on mine but it pulls off with no resistance with it set one the lowest setting on the knob on the back of the reel. I would return it and get another.

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

I’d consider an exchange from Amazon but like a dumbass I tossed the box already. flame

call amazon. The phone # isn’t easily found, but they do great customer service over the phone. Explain your situation. chances are, they won’t want the defective one back and will send you a new one overnight.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I too run the Okuma Bait Runner Reels and a TUC Dead Stick on the IFP and I have not had any issues with the line sticking or hard to pull out while in baitfeeder mode….

IceWack
    Participant

Could just be my rod because I have basically the same set up just using Fishing 13’s version of the dead stick and at the reel the line comes off with zero resistance but with my rod at the angle it’s held at in an IFP there is much more resistance pulling essentially where the force would come from a fish. I believe this is being caused by the rubbing friction of the eyelets. Now it’s not so much that a fish couldn’t run with it but I fear that it’s going to tip the fish off that something ain’t right before I get a chance to set the hook. Haven’t gotten any bites on it yet, only took it out for a couple hours so time will tell.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

IceWack,

Can you try it in house with any other rod…doesn’t need to be the rod your going to use…although I have used my Bullwhip on my IFP and the Okuma Baitrunner Reel for panfish..

Try a different rod in house to see if it makes a difference…

IceWack
    Participant

Dave,

I brought in my rod and wanted to see how much weight it would take to start it rolling on minimum drag setting to make a comparison. It took 2 sounders and 2 #4 split shot to start with. But after a couple of runs it was moving much easier. So I cranked up the drag in bait feeder mode and stripped off line a few times and that seemed to help. I don’t know if it’s a break in thing or a warm up thing but managed to get it down to a single sounder (1.25 oz) pulling the line off on the minimum setting. Switched the reel to a few different rods and all performed roughly the same. The angle in which the rod is held makes a big difference so I tried to keep it at the same angle the IFP holds it at.

BoatsHateMe
    Participant

I found my box and returned the original to Amazon. I ordered another and it showed today. There is a significant difference so I’m very happy and excited to put it to work.

While at the St. Paul Sports Show I picked up a size 30 ABF FOR $40. I was pretty tickled about that. I think I’ll spool that up with some 25 lb 832 Ice or maybe just some 20lb mono and have that as my IFP northern rig. It can pull duty in the summer for that too.

tangler
    Inactive

I got an ABF-20 for christmas and am having the exact same issue. Went out and bought a rod to pair with it and fresh line, spooled it all up and set it up on my finnicky fooler and there’s a significant amount of resistance when trying to pull line out in baitfeeder mode.

To return I’ll have to bug a family member since it was a gift. @sjh1962 you felt like cleaning and re-lubing did the trick on that Ceymar eh? I was considering upgrading the drag anyway, so I suppose maybe it’s worth a shot?

Outdraft
    Participant
    Western Wi.

Have you used a reel like that before?

tangler
    Inactive

Have you used a reel like that before?

This is my first bait feeder but I think I understand how it’s supposed to work and it’s definitely not working like that. With the rear drag engaged and set to the lightest setting there is significant tension trying to pull line out. It also doesn’t feed “evenly” — the tension isn’t consistent, hardener then easier then harder again etc.

That said I’m open to suggestions as I’m trying to avoid sending it back. Thanks!

tangler
    Inactive

I ended up just grabbing a new one at Joe’s. Brought the bad one in and compared side by side to the new one and it was night and day. I’ll figure out how to get Amazon to take the defective unit back.

I’m on a run of poor luck with new products. Also had to return a rod with a defective guide and of course they didn’t have the same rod in stock anymore, despite having 3 yesterday. Oh well.

BoatsHateMe
    Participant

With the rear drag engaged and set to the lightest setting there is significant tension trying to pull line out. It also doesn’t feed “evenly” — the tension isn’t consistent, hardener then easier then harder again etc.

This was exactly what I experienced. Even my replacement is like this, just not as bad. Can’t imagine a fish not getting spooked by that but I did catch a few saugers on it last year. I bought the 500 size this year and it feeds significantly better.

tangler
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tangler wrote:</div>
    With the rear drag engaged and set to the lightest setting there is significant tension trying to pull line out. It also doesn’t feed “evenly” — the tension isn’t consistent, hardener then easier then harder again etc.

This was exactly what I experienced. Even my replacement is like this, just not as bad. Can’t imagine a fish not getting spooked by that but I did catch a few saugers on it last year. I bought the 500 size this year and it feeds significantly better.

Yeah if I was walleye fishing I’d go for the new micro model for sure. Just not enough drag to feel set for lake trout.

milemark_714
    Participant

I got an ABF-20 for christmas and am having the exact same issue. Went out and bought a rod to pair with it and fresh line, spooled it all up and set it up on my finnicky fooler and there’s a significant amount of resistance when trying to pull line out in baitfeeder mode.

To return I’ll have to bug a family member since it was a gift. @sjh1962 you felt like cleaning and re-lubing did the trick on that Ceymar eh? I was considering upgrading the drag anyway, so I suppose maybe it’s worth a shot?

Made a world of difference.I can’t tell you on how many reels I have bought,and had them almost impossible to turn after a few hours in the freezer.The factory goes overboard with the lube many times.
    The Ceymars and Saharas are now dedicated ice reels,so lubed them minimal.Carbon washers are the next upgrade,those felt washers get fussy sometimes when cold.

If you can,yeah I would exchange it,possibly you got a dud?Others said they had good luck with those.

tangler
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tangler wrote:</div>

Made a world of difference.I can’t tell you on how many reels I have bought,and had them almost impossible to turn after a few hours in the freezer.The factory goes overboard with the lube many times.
    The Ceymars and Saharas are now dedicated ice reels,so lubed them minimal.Carbon washers are the next upgrade,those felt washers get fussy sometimes when cold.

If you can,yeah I would exchange it,possibly you got a dud?Others said they had good luck with those.

Thanks for the info. I was able to buy a new one without the same issue, will return the other to amazon as defective.

Good to know about the ceymar— the new 1000 size is a pretty good compromise with 6lb drag. Maybe a bit less than ideal for lake trout but probably doable.

curleytail
    Participant

I bought a 20 last year and the free spool is very light and smooth.

I bought a 500 Avenger this year and it’s free spool is heavier and has a distinct catch to it like theres a rough spot on a washer or something.

I’m tempted to try to take it apart and fix it but also don’t want to void a warranty etc. I have had good luck in the past with Okuma so I’m sure they’ll take care of it if needed.

If someone pulls one of these apart and can let us know if the bait feeder mechanism is simple or complex let us know.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.