New offering from Hornady

• gixxer01
    Participant
    Avon, MN

Hornady just announced the release of their Precision Hunter line of ammo using the new ELD-x bullets. Impressive BCs and controlled expansion at a wide range of velocities. Looks like they may have pulled off what the Accubond Long Range couldn’t.

Hornady ELD-X ammo

castle-rock-clown
    Participant

How were the Nosler Accubond VLDs not performing?

gixxer01
    Participant
    Avon, MN

Rumor was the published BCs were a stretch from reality. Thought I heard they had stopped production of a few calibers as well. That may have been due to the mass shortage of ammo, though.

Jeff Heeg
    Participant
    USA

The ELD X ammo, is more about maintaining the original BC rating of the the bullet profile. The original ballistic tips were deforming from the heat built friction in the air during flight. As the tip deformed or melted some it changed the BC profile of the bullet. This with the fact that as the bullet slows in FPS the BC of the bullet ( not the profile) drops.

Now that they have a ballistic tip that can withstand the heat and not deform the only element working against the bullets performance is the step down in BCs as the bullet is in flight and the atmospheric conditions.

JH

castle-rock-clown
    Participant

I couldn’t get as tight of group with Berger 168 vld hunting bullets unless I loaded for minimum velocity. I switched to Nosler 150 Accubond vld and get pretty good groups at 300 yards loaded to near Max loads. My averages are 2 inch groups at 300 yards shooting a Tikka t3 super lightweight in 7mm rem mag. I also like the nosler philosophy of retaining bullet weight vs bergers fragmenting bullets. The new hornadys seem to rely on retaining bullet weight, I will have to give them a try.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.