New Hub

• FinickyFish

Just pulled the trigger an Eskimo Outbreak 450xd from L&S Fleet for $399. Seemed like a good price for the beginning-ish of the 2022-23 season. I’ve seen some year old threads with a little info but wondering if anyone has opinions now that these have been out a year or two now. Also any mods anyone could recommend? This will be my first hub style house.

Bob Ford
    West Side Mille Lacs Lake

Having sold hub houses for years, the eskimo 450 is by my favorite and most durable. Perfect size if you have a couple friends with, yet manageable if your solo. Full door is awesome, at that price you will not be disappointed. You have to anchor the door out even if there is no wind. Would definetly get an anchor drill attachment for $10.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Will be following this as I may be in the market for a replacement hub. Been looking at the 650XD as I would be wanting to do overnights in it

Coletrain27

If you guys have Facebook check out “trick your hub” on there and there is a lot of good info and stuff on there everyday

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

If you guys have Facebook check out “trick your hub” on there and there is a lot of good info and stuff on there everyday

Yup good group with lots of good info

Aboxy17

As far as I have heard the Outbreak and Otter Vortex are pretty comparable and two of the best hubs money can buy. It was a toss-up between the Outbreak and Otter went with the Otter because I found a good deal. I love the Otter and I have used the crap out of that thing over the past year. It has held up great.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

if you’re into glamping and flooring inside a hub, its paradise island!

realtreeap10
    Over there

I can’t say anything for mods but I’ve had my 650xd now for two seasons and love it. Just used it for a week of elk camp also in Colorado and it worked great for that. Two cots get’s a little tight but it was doable. Quality has been good so far with no issues and yes I’d also recommend a drill attachment for installing the ice anchors.

FinickyFish

I see Clam has hub lock accessories that look pretty neat. Anyone know if those are compatible with Eskimo or if anyone makes a similar system that would be compatible?

Or if anyone has an opinion that those accessories aren’t as great as they seem?

Tlazer

I just bought the Frabill Fortress 310XL from L&M when they had them on sale for $299. I would have purchased the Eskimo 450XD (my second choice) except the Frabill was bigger and $100 cheaper. I don’t plan to use it much except when fishing with a group of 3 or more. I usually fish alone or with a buddy in my flip over shack. Used twice so far as a warm up shelter since we had Tip ups out. Surprised they list as 4-5 person to me it would be 3 and 4 max if you fished out of it. I can see where the full door is a nice option as the doors on the Frabill are a pain with heavy boots and gear on. Enjoy your shack and I will also check out the Facebook page on tricking out your shelter.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

urprised they list as 4-5 person to me it would be 3 and 4 max if you fished out of it.

yeah in my experience subtract 2 from whatever number the manufacture lists. My hub says its a 4 person and i find it comfortable with 2 and doable with 3 but anything more and you might as well be sitting in your buddies lap

FinickyFish

I plan to put 5 guys in it in Thursday for a few hours. I’ll report back how well that goes. It’ll have to be no gear allowed inside besides one Vex in the center, poles, seats, and beer.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.