New gun control laws

• wkw
    Participant

What’s everybody’s opinion. I’m not to well informed on the details, so fill me in if you can. I have a C&C permit and was wondering about ammo sales, etc.

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

Nothing has passed. The gun control crowd will get it defeated.

wkw
    Participant

I hope so.

catnip
    Participant
    south metro

They will pass it eventually unless things come to a head first. Im glad we all sold all our guns years ago. What ever so called laws they pass dont ever register your stuff! You know what happens after that.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

The thing that troubles me is that universal background checks will make no difference when it comes to school or mass shooters. All the worst incidents involved a shooter who either stole the guns or passed the background checks.

Sorry, but as a gun owner, I’m in FAVOR of red flag laws. Mentally ill people who have exhibited behaviors that are violent or threatening are NOT friends of the gun owner. These are the people that are making us all look bad and no way am I going to say they have some kind of right to own or possess guns in a mentally ill and dangerous state. These people need treatment and help and we’ll all be better of if they get it and have no access to guns while they do. It’s the same with the laws that allowed LE to take guns away from wife beaters. I’m not going to defend the “rights” of anyone POS abuser of women and children to have his guns.

What ever so called laws they pass don’t ever register your stuff! You know what happens after that.

This always makes me shake my head. Ever bought a hunting license? Ever bought a gun during the background check era? If yes, they already KNOW you own guns. They may not know which or how many, but they know who you are. It won’t matter telling a bunch of stories about how you “sold” them, if it comes to that kind of State-sponsored depriving of rights and property things will have gone so wrong that telling stories isn’t going to save your guns or you for that matter.

Grouse

riverruns
    Inactive

This always makes me shake my head. Ever bought a hunting license? Ever bought a gun during the background check era? If yes, they already KNOW you own guns. They may not know which or how many, but they know who you are. It won’t matter telling a bunch of stories about how you “sold” them, if it comes to that kind of State-sponsored depriving of rights and property things will have gone so wrong that telling stories isn’t going to save your guns or you for that matter.
    Grouse

May I ask why? I have purchased licenses I have never used. Does that make me guilty with intent too use?

I have also owned guns previously . Pre and non Pre “registration”. It is still my right too sell them, bury them, give them away, auction them, burn and melt them. I could have kept them but don’t need them.

Don’t like venison anyhow.

Youbetcha
    Participant
    Anoka County

Sorry, but as a gun owner, I’m in FAVOR of red flag laws. Mentally ill people who have exhibited behaviors that are violent or threatening are NOT friends of the gun owner. These are the people that are making us all look bad and no way am I going to say they have some kind of right to own or possess guns in a mentally ill and dangerous state. These people need treatment and help and we’ll all be better of if they get it and have no access to guns while they do. It’s the same with the laws that allowed LE to take guns away from wife beaters. I’m not going to defend the “rights” of anyone POS abuser of women and children to have his guns.

Im interested in your opinion on this… Truly to me I see the “red flag” law as a bigger threat. This will undermine due process as it has numerous times. This solely puts you in the hands of the government and takes away YOUR fourth amendment rights. I am by no means saying sick or mentally ill people should have weapons but there has to be a different and better way.

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

Something will get passed. My fear in the red-flag laws are the rights that are stripped away. The horror stories that the media will never follow up on. More often, its innocent individuals that had a complaint filed against them for something stupid or very minimal. But because the complaint included them as a threat that owns firearms, they are all taken. So when the dust settles, and the individual proves their innocence, they almost never get their firearms back. I personally know people in IL and FL that are screwed from these laws.

Current red flag states include: Florida, Vermont, Maryland, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Delaware, Massachusetts, Illinois, and Washington, D.C.

My biggest issue with any gun law is that they are too blanketed across the masses. I can understand a local individual community trying to protect the consolidated mass of people who live together in fear. But why should their fear affect my rights? Who are they to tell me what kind of stock I can build a rifle with, what type of ammo, how much ammo, and so on. They have no dam clue to what and how I use any of my firearms. But they cry out in fear because of their uneducated media induced bull crap. So ultimately, regardless of what laws they pass onto themselves that restrict what and how I use will be viewed and an infringement of my rights and I will not recognize them.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I think the issue of selling a firearm to someone else “off the books” is questionable. You might think you know your 2nd cousin, but what if he or she turns around and uses that weapon in a crime or other malicious way? Or worse, they shoot you? If the person you sell it to is not registered in any database that prohibits them from buying a firearm, ya, its a moot point. But if the back ground is done, and catches something, and then prohibits that sale, its done its job and prevented that person from obtaining the weapon (legally, anyways). A universal background check system for every single firearm transaction, public or private, is fine. I’ve got nothing to hide. We, as responsible gun owners, have a responsibility to ensure that we’re not selling our weapons to a registered criminal.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

The red flag laws are a huge concern. Who gets to decide what a red flag is?

If you know of a gun owner who is in danger of hurting themselves or others, deal with that situation. Don’t blanket the entire state with a feel good fuzzy law that will never work.

-J.

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

I think the issue of selling a firearm to someone else “off the books” is questionable. You might think you know your 2nd cousin, but what if he or she turns around and uses that weapon in a crime or other malicious way? Or worse, they shoot you? If the person you sell it to is not registered in any database that prohibits them from buying a firearm, ya, its a moot point. But if the back ground is done, and catches something, and then prohibits that sale, its done its job and prevented that person from obtaining the weapon (legally, anyways). A universal background check system for every single firearm transaction, public or private, is fine. I’ve got nothing to hide. We, as responsible gun owners, have a responsibility to ensure that we’re not selling our weapons to a registered criminal.

So I should never sell anyone a used vehicle? Lord knows how many more drunk drivers kill people and I can’t predict if they are going to use that car or truck to kill your family

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

Im against ALL new gun control measures except national reciprocity.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The red flag laws are a huge concern. Who gets to decide what a red flag is?

This is why I am against this rule. There is no check and balance put in place. Anybody….somebody here at IDO, that you might tick off could call you in and guess what? There go your guns. Better think long and hard on this one.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

…and boom goes the dynamite

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/minnesota-house-panel-passes-another-gun-control-bill/89-76d922e2-1faa-4c55-b820-a1383c8d4ff8

Minnesota House panel passes another gun control bill
    Both bills are expected to win approval on the House floor.
    Author: Associated Press
    Published: 3:03 AM CST March 1, 2019
    Updated: 3:05 AM CST March 1, 2019
    ST PAUL, Minn. — A Minnesota House committee has passed a proposed “red flag” law that would allow families and police to get court orders to temporarily remove guns from people judged to be an imminent danger to themselves or others.

The House public safety committee approved the bill 10-7 along party lines Thursday. The same panel on Wednesday night approved another gun control bill , to require universal criminal background checks on all gun purchases.

RELATED: Minnesota House panel backs gun sale checks, will continue “red flag” talks Thursday

Both bills are expected to win approval on the House floor. They’re on the Top 10 priorities list for the House Democratic majority.

Republican Senate Majority Leader Paul Gazelka says they’re not going anywhere in his chamber. But Democratic Sen. Ron Latz says he’s ready to try a procedural maneuver to force votes if need be.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

So I should never sell anyone a used vehicle? Lord knows how many more drunk drivers kill people and I can’t predict if they are going to use that car or truck to kill your family

People don’t need to pass a background check to purchase a car. I don’t disagree that vehicles are a dangerous item in the wrong hands too but the system of checks and balances is not in place when privately selling or buying cars.

We all know that won’t happen as long as there are places like Illinois, New York, and California on the map.

Besox
    Participant

Taking freedoms away is a bad road to go down. These a33 clowns are going too far with this crap. Adding taxes with a billion dollar surplus. Going after the constitional rights of “Free” Americans?
    Stop voting these idiots in MN!

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

Amen. Sorry, did that offend atheists?

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

I think a big part of the problem when it comes to gun laws is gun owners themselves ( me included ) As much as gun owners and gun rights advocates voice their opinions on forms such as this. How many of you have ever taken the time to sent a email or letter to your government representatives. Or better yet – Showed up at the capital or anyplace else to voice your support for gun rights. Maybe once again its just how poor the media is about showing it. But every time their is News media on sight someplace in regard to gun issues, the Anti’s out way the gun supporters by huge margins. I think sportsmen in general just keep to themselves to much. Maybe we should each skip a day or 2 of Fishing, hunting, or shooting to gather together in mass #’s to show our support of the activities we believe in. Like I said before, I’m just as guilty as anyone about this.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

How many of you have ever taken the time to sent a email or letter to your government representatives. Or better yet – Showed up at the capital

wave

Edit:

The #1 thing you can do if you can’t show up is join the NRA. Contribute funds annually.

-J.

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishthumper wrote:</div>
    How many of you have ever taken the time to sent a email or letter to your government representatives. Or better yet – Showed up at the capital

wave

Edit:

The #1 thing you can do if you can’t show up is join the NRA. Contribute funds annually.

-J.

AMEN to that toast toast toast toast toast toast toast

I think its time we demand background checks for the following:
    Purchasing a hammer
    Purchasing an automobile
    Purchasing a baseball bat
    Purchasing knives
    Getting pregnant
    Getting married as far as that goes….
    Buying violent video games
    and my deepest wish, to use social media wave
    Dam near forgot – I want all criminals to do a mandatory background check. After watching these reality shows of Americas’ dumbest criminals, they need to be sorted out too

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

I normally think of myself as a gun rights advocate. That being said, do I think we need some gun control laws – Yes. Do I think a law abiding citizen without a confirmed mental illness should be able to own and buy guns – Yes. With the # of people with mental illness and criminals on the rise anything we can do to help keep guns out of their hands is fine with me. Do I think any law will STOP all gun violence – No. But if it can stop or prevent just a few then I think some gun laws are worth it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I checked with the State of WI and MN before selling a handgun to a person that had a couple traffic tickets.

When Apple Valley PD called and asked about the sale because the gun was used illegally I asked what else could I have done to prevent this? They said “nothing” because there was no legal reason that I couldn’t sell it to them.

Then when the ATF called and asked me about the sale, I tried to get as much info as I could to see where or if I screwed up. The were investigating this person because “a number of weapons they bought ended up being used in crimes”.

Criminals aren’t real concerned about laws. I think we forget that sometimes.

Joe Scegura
    Participant
    Alexandria MN

Criminals aren’t real concerned about laws. I think we forget that sometimes.

There will never be a more true statement.

Steve Root
    Participant
    South St. Paul, MN

Two weeks ago an evil person in Illinois killed 5 people at his workplace.

He was a convicted felon. He passed background checks, waiting periods, obtained a C&C permit, all in violation of the law. That was before he killed a bunch of people. Illinois is also on the list of states that has a “red flag” law.

It would seem to me that these laws may be well intended, but they don’t work.

I object strongly to the notion that my state legislature would pass a law that removes SEVERAL of my constitutional rights. I’m not the criminal.

S.R.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

AMEN to that …..
    I think its time we demand background checks for the following:
    Purchasing a hammer
    Purchasing an automobile
    Purchasing a baseball bat
    Purchasing knives
    Getting pregnant
    Getting married as far as that goes….
    Buying violent video games
    and my deepest wish, to use social media wave
    Dam near forgot – I want all criminals to do a mandatory background check. After watching these reality shows of Americas’ dumbest criminals, they need to be sorted out too

Don’t forget ALL elected officials as well as employees working in any city, county, state , and federal position. And I do mean ALL. Look at how many of these mass shooting take place when an employee is fired or terminated and they come back to exact some revenge. Don’t think civic servants are exempt from thoughts and actions like that. If they’ve had issues, don’t hire them.

tornadochaser
    Participant

How about we fix and enforce the 33,000 gun laws already on the books first? While I’m not absolutely against “universal bgc” I’m 100% against the way it is being touted as some sort of fix. It fixes nothing. gun traces in places like chicago and new york city (I won’t even mention border states and fast/furious scandal) have shown that tons of guns are illegally straw purchased at dealers and traffic’d across state lines. A straw purchase is already illegal. Put some teeth in the law and enforce it rather than using it as an additional charge to get a plea deal or “bigger fish”.

There is nothing preventing you from doing a 4473 transfer on a private sale. Just tell the guy you want to meet at joe’s gun shop to do the transfer and you’ll cover the fee the FFL charges. Your prerogative.

tornadochaser
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishthumper wrote:</div>

wave

Edit:

-J.

The NRA needs a complete overhaul of their executives and board before I and many others will give them another cent. They aren’t doing anything for gun owners. Where were they when we recently got constitutional carry enacted in SD? Yet they sent out all kinds of emails touting the bills passage.

The NRA threw bump stocks under the bus and by doing so passively greenlit the unconstitutional nature of the executive order.

The NRA is for “Red Flag” laws. The NRA is not supporting 2nd amendment lawyers like stephen stamboulieh and adam kraut in their attempts to get laws overturned or get courts to block unconstitutional laws via injunctions. In fact, the NRA has actively tried to block young aggressive advocates like Adam Kraut from getting onto the NRA board voting ballot.

Support the Firearms Policy Coalition. They are one of the few organizations actually making a difference for our rights.

blackbay
    Participant

…But every time their is News media on sight someplace in regard to gun issues, the Anti’s out way the gun supporters by huge margins. I think sportsmen in general just keep to themselves to much…

That’s because we have jobs and places we need to be. The people you see at protests and holding signs, I’m not so sure.

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

That’s because we have jobs and places we need to be. The people you see at protests and holding signs, I’m not so sure.

They have jobs. flame Many are hired to protest flame flame flame

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.