New fishing store at MOA

• Ripjiggen
    Participant

I know I know most would not step foot inside Mall of America, but need a pair of dress shoes and a grad gift so stopped on way home from work quick. Noticed there is a new fishing store opening called Karl’s. Never heard of them before but thought it was an odd place for a fishing store. It was all covered up so couldn’t see the inside.

slipperybob
    Participant
    Lil'Can, MN

Karl’s, just know them from online.

Aboxy17
    Participant

My guess is this has to do with the Karls tackle/ Catch co. brand home of mystery tackle box affiliated with Googan Squad and endless promoting and ads any time you watch a fishing video on youtube. Not ripping on them but all their products seem overhyped and overpriced in my opinion. I have tried some of the plastics and they caught fish the same as anything else but they were pretty bad as far as durability goes.

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

Do they have an Ultrex? crazy

ThunderLund78
    Participant

Makes sense. A lot of people come to MN on vacation to fish but probably get dragged through the MOA by their better halfs. I could see it working out.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I work on that mall all the time. Besides all the eye candy in that place, it’s a hard pass for me. But I will look it up online

Pat K
    Participant
    Empire, MN

2 of my sisters walk laps at the mall every day. According to them Karl’s has been “opening soon” for over 6 months now. It’s right next to the Caribou where they get their caffeine fix.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

2 of my sisters walk laps at the mall every day. According to them Karl’s has been “opening soon” for over 6 months now. It’s right next to the Caribou where they get their caffeine fix.

I couldn’t imagine it’s been that long. The turn around in the mall is very strict. Typically a store has to be torn out and new one open within 3 months.

ThunderLund78
    Participant

Wasn’t the plan a few years back to have Bass Pro be an anchor store? I wonder if that’s still in the cards. I’d still go to Scheels.

queenswake
    Participant
    NULL

Wasn’t the plan a few years back to have Bass Pro be an anchor store? I wonder if that’s still in the cards. I’d still go to Scheels.

That was a plan in the area across the street where the new waterpark is now going in. Bass Pro could still take over the Sears space, I suppose. I don’t see it happening, however. Not the right place for that kind of store.

Pat K
    Participant
    Empire, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Pat K wrote:</div>

I couldn’t imagine it’s been that long. The turn around in the mall is very strict. Typically a store has to be torn out and new one open within 3 months.

Got a text back from my sis. She’s sure that the signs were up when they got home from a vacation in Feb. I know it was several months ago that they asked me if I’d heard of Karl’s.
    She says there’s a restaurant called Chicken Guy that’s been coming soon for about a year.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Got a text back from my sis. She’s sure that the signs were up when they got home from a vacation in Feb. I know it was several months ago that they asked me if I’d heard of Karl’s.
    She says there’s a restaurant called Chicken Guy that’s been coming soon for about a year.
    [/quote]

Sorry my bad. I thought you meant it was a empty space for over 6 months. Not just advertising signs. I was going to say they manage those business like the military. It’s very quick turn arounds. Usually 40 guys working at a time in the small retail shops to flip them in under 2 months. Now the hard rock or dicks last resort were much bigger and odder jobs that took a few extra months. We do night work in the mall every night all year. It’s actually a crazy place behind the scenes

brandmoney
    Participant

The store opening is Karl’s (Owned by Mystery Tackle Box/Catch Co.)

Bunch of great guys over there. Many dislike them, but you can’t deny the success they’ve created for themselves. They do offer some original baits, as well as other fishing brands. I’m assuming inventory will be similar to what you can find on shopkarls.com

It’ll be nice to finally have a store that carries fishing gear at MOA. Not a lot there for the outdoor audience right now

ThunderLund78
    Participant

Off-topic, but Chicken Guy is Guy Fierri’s Nashville Chicken Restaurant that he started after visiting the original Hattie B’s on DDD. He like it so much that he basically decided to rip it off. It’s kind of a sore subject in Nashville, I learned.

Rodwork
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

I have seen Karl’s and mystery tackle box ads all over YouTube. They are not too bad and I find myself watching them. I don’t go to MOA much at all but would swing in when they are open. They have a handful of baits they are selling under the Karl / Googan Squad name that might be worth checking out. No dinnerbells. Hopefully the people working at Karl’s in MOA don’t act anything like the Googan Squad. I also don’t want to be a member so I can get a deal.

https://shopkarls.com/c/tackle/hard-baits?limit=120

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Oh God, another place you have to be a member to get the ” special deals” that right there seals the fate for me.
    No thank you. I’ll stick with tackle warehouse or my local bait shops

Pat K
    Participant
    Empire, MN

Walked and had lunch with my sister for her birthday at MOA today. Karl’s is still in the “coming soon” phase. My sis says nothing has changed in months.

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

As others have said Karl’s is the creators of the Mystery Tackle Box monthly subscription boxes. They now have a large online store as well and are branching out into the ice fishing industry as well. I am interested in how they will operate their store. They do things a little differently that most traditional fishing stores.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Do they have an Ultrex? crazy

Screw the trolling motor! I want to know if they have 8efe28aeba5bfd44 in stock.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

Walked in today as I had to grab a Christmas present quick. It’s basically mystery tackle box and all Googan squad gear. Very small and not worth the time unless you really love Googan squad.
    Honestly don’t see how they will make it there. Then again I didn’t recognize half the stores I walked by. A clothing store called Moose Knuckle is new too. Lol

dirtywater
    Participant

Walked in today as I had to grab a Christmas present quick. It’s basically mystery tackle box and all Googan squad gear. Very small and not worth the time unless you really love Googan squad.
    Honestly don’t see how they will make it there. Then again I didn’t recognize half the stores I walked by. A clothing store called Moose Knuckle is new too. Lol

When I walked past last week some kids were sitting at a table in the window painting custom lures, presumably to give dad as a christmas gift. That kind of thing could be popular, but it’s not going to be a place any serious angler needs to go.

I saw the moose knuckle store too whistling

Ripjiggen
    Participant

Have to paint a lot of lures to pay that rent. Kid working told me there most popular item was Sandler that looked like fish.

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

I didn’t realize it was going to be a store inside the mall. I was thinking more along the lines of what BPS tried to do a few years ago. That little store is just going to be mostly Googan stuff unfortunatel.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

I dont get the draw of moa lived up here since 99 been twice dont ever plan to return

Not really the point of thread…. whistling

munchy
    Participant
    NULL

That little store is just going to be mostly Googan stuff unfortunatel.

Makes sense as the MOA is basically daycare for teens and that is 99% of their audience.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.