New camper prices

• grizzly
    Participant
    nebraska

Seeing on some of these new big campers the msrp is over 100000.00 and sale price around 75000.00 Are they getting these to sell at this price or do they drop the price to get them to sell? Especially on the left over models

Sylvanboat
    Participant

MSRP is meaningless number. RV industry in general overbuilt in 2022, so discounting is occurring. However how much depends on different factors like specific model. We bought a higher end 5th wheel in 2022 and there was a somewhat significant discount from MSRP. Best thing to do is call around.

mark-bruzek
    Participant
    Two Harbors, MN

Everyone bought during the dumb ages shutdowns. Now ppl have gone back to their normal routine, are not using them and have to pay for them still. Market is getting flooded, price is going to tank.
    MFGRS ramped up production when everyone WAS buying and are now sitting on overstock, price is going to tank.
    Typical sales scheme to run high MSRP then “offer huge sales prices”.
    Plus 90% are built like crap…

My $.02

stevenoak
    Participant

Both my brothers bought campers during the pandemic. First thing they found, they were not alone. My brother in Missouri found C.O.E. campgrounds booked for the entire summer weekends. They could only get a few midweek days with limited hookups. Often had to move spot to spot because of reservations. They also found with the new demand., rates had doubled some places. So, a lot of recent purchases have just sat. Especially for busy families that can’t plan months out.
    Also, when the demand went up. A lot of campers are built in Indiana. They were among the first states to say. If you want a paycheck, get your azz back to work. When many manufacturers had supply issues. There are a lot of substitution options on a rv. Not like a car built with specific parts. Good chunk off 22 inventory is still unsold. I agree prices may hit the wall this summer.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I hope prices take a dive. We are looking for 2 different campers. A 5th wheel and a pickup camper.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Wait it out and save cash to avoid financing any or as much of it. Prices are coming down.

Shop this September-November on unsold 2023 models.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Wait it out and save cash to avoid financing any or as much of it. Prices are coming down.

Shop this September-November on unsold 2023 models.

For me, there will be no financing. Cash only type of deals. But I’m not also planning on spending 100k. More like 10k on the pickup camper and hope to find a old good shaped or restored 5th wheel just to drop on a piece of land we bought

ThunderLund78
    Participant

Not really seeing it in the boat market yet, fingers crossed, though.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Not really seeing it in the boat market yet, fingers crossed, though.

x2 and imo, 1 year from now we will know how bad the economy is going to get which will greatly impact all the recreational toy markets.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Also in the market for new or used 1-2 year old camper. Post links if anyone sees a steal of a deal!

-J.

Gitchi Gummi
    Participant

As long as banks continue to lend to just about anyone with [IMO] crazy loan tenors, the demand for brand new recreational toys will continue to be inflated by this extension of credit. I’ve heard some lenders will give out loans as long as 10-15 years on some of these toys. Then people get upside down on their loans and then try to sell the asset on the used market for more than it’s worth to make up for being underwater which further inflates used prices. Then someone buys said used toy at the inflated price propped up by another crazy long loan by the new buyer, and the cycle repeats itself. Crazy stuff.

Paul D
    Participant
    Roseville

Wife & I got in before the plague hit, damn lucky. Bought a 2020 Forest River product. Went to the RV show in 2022 where the queens play. Found the exact same model from a local dealer there, it was priced 27K more than what we paid, for the same camper, I was dumbfounded.

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

Wife & I got in before the plague hit, damn lucky. Bought a 2020 Forest River product. Went to the RV show in 2022 where the queens play. Found the exact same model from a local dealer there, it was priced 27K more than what we paid, for the same camper, I was dumbfounded.

Probably sold that weekend too

Coletrain27
    Participant

same here, bought my shack just when covid started. now the same thing is 10K plus more. half tempted to just sell it for what i paid for it.

Tony Hanson
    Participant

Pretty similar experience to yours, though we bought in spring 2021. We found the model we wanted and then I did a search online of all dealers within 500 miles that had that model in stock. I then reached out to each one explaining that I would be buying that model by the end of the week from whomever offered the best price and delivery package (ours is a destination trailer). Ended up saving significant money over buying from our local dealer, with free delivery to our lot. In 2021 our trailer was in the high 30’s, at the recent RV show at the convention center the same model is now low 60’s. Glad we bought when we did or we wouldn’t be in this trailer, because IMO it’s not worth anywhere close to today’s price.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.