Nelson Lake

• matthewkolden
    Participant

The wife and I are going to be checking out an RV park on Nelson lake, considering a seasonal site there. It’s one of a few places we’ll be checking out. Just wondering if anyone can provide any info on fishing Nelson lake. Curious about all species, but mostly walleye. Is there a pretty fishable population there? Thanks in advance. Not looking for spots or secrets, just wondering how the population is.

mwal
    Participant
    Rosemount,MN

From 2017 WI DNR spring fish Survey
    The DNR fish survey effort on Nelson Lake in 2017 was primarily geared toward adult walleye. As such, data was not collected for northern pike, yellow perch, or black crappie and those species are not includedin this report. Walleye in Nelson Lake havenotproducedany significant natural recruitment for over 15 years. As a result, large-scale stocking efforts were undertaken and a more restrictive length limit was applied to try and rebuild the adult walleye population. This survey acted as a check-in on the success of those efforts. Unfortunately, the walleye population in Nelson Lake does not appear to be improving as much as expected. The walleye population in the lake is mostly largeindividuals, including many over the 18 inch minimum length limit, butoverallabundance is considerably lower than in previous surveys. Data on juvenile walleye captured during the electrofishing portion of this survey appears to be showing only limited survival of walleye stocked in 2015(which would be expected to be between 9-13 inches in length).

I fish for bass on Nelson and do well but as report indicates Walleye do not reproduce and the stocked fish do not do well. IT is a good lake for bass and panfish. Nothing like the walleye fishing of the late 1970’s to mid 1980’s in ’87 spearing started and The DNR lowered how many are stocked since then. IT is a FLowage with lots of stumps and fish cribs etc. We bought our cabin up there in 1970 so very familiar

mwal
    Participant
    Rosemount,MN

you can see the whole report if do a search nelson lake WI fish study

matthewkolden
    Participant

Thanks for the info. That’s a bummer though.

Tyler Schmitz
    Participant

I used to fish there a lot. It has great bass fishing and crappie fishing. I’ve seen some big pike as well. That being said the walleyes aren’t very abundant.

bzzsaw
    Participant
    Hudson, Wi

Have hunting property close to Nelson Lake. We’ve stayed at a couple places on Nelson Lake during deer season over the years. Park Island and Nelson Lake Landing. 2 of my biggest walleyes were through the ice on Nelson Lake during deer hunting (28 and 29 inchers… good news). Unfortunately they were close to 20 years ago. There were several years the walleyes have been few and far between. I’ve heard crappies were decent but never fished them. Nelson Lake would be a nice location, great lake, nice resorts. Tons of other lakes to go to in the area.

bigpike
    Participant

I wonder how the gil fishing is in Nelson. When I was younger the gils were huge but over harvest (50 fish limit) killed the stock.

matthewkolden
    Participant

FWIW, I spent the weekend there and we did end up with 2 walleye. an 18.25 and a 14. Both were caught while just slowly drifting for crappies with little 1/4 oz jigs. So, maybe some hope that there’s a fishable population in there yet.

Jim in Wisconsin
    Participant

Many big Northerns taken out of Nelson 20-26# in the 1980s. The limit is now 1 fish in the 32″ class and the size seems to be coming back. Crappies in the 12″ class in the 1990s but now 9.5″ and improving with a much lower daily limit. I still fish the lake because it’s usually still good for a meal for my wife and I.

matthewkolden
    Participant

Hey Jim in Wisconsin. Good to hear from someone on this old thread. This is now my 2nd season on Nelson lake at one of the campgrounds and i’m getting a few things figured out. Last season I don’t know if we caught more than 5 pike all year, but this year we have caught probably 5 per weekend on average. My son caught a nice 30 incher, but that’s been the biggest, with the rest being around 20″. We’ve only pulled 3 walleye so far, but in fairness we also haven’t specifically targeted them very much. I still don’t think it’s exactly a GOOD walleye lake, but there’s some fish to be caught, I think I just need to put in more time targeting them and figure out where they are. So often i’m busy with family things having two young kids and a wife, I miss out on the prime time bites.

We’ve caught plenty of bass and crappie though, and that’s been a lot of fun. I’m hopeful that as I get more time put in out there I can figure things out a little more as far as walleye go, but we’ll just have to wait and see.

Jim in Wisconsin
    Participant

The guy who owns the old Gerlachs Landing says he caught a 20# class northern in front of his house couple years ago. In the old days I used to be the “killer” northern pike fisherman but the only way I can get one on Nelson is by accident these days. The weed bed on the south side of the narrows used to have a giant but someone caught it 10 years ago. I get a bass there sometimes.The inlet on the north end used to be a good place, and the Totogatic Lake where it all starts is FULL of northerns but 26″ is the biggest I’ve seen. I used to have a camp at Sunrise Bay on the south end but sold it 2 years ago. The Totogatic Flowage down below used to have lots of northerns and bass & maybe still does. I used to get 1-2 30″ northerns there every year.

matthewkolden
    Participant

You left just as i arrived. I haven’t done a ton of fishing up on the northern part yet. We are at nelson lake lodge so ive spent more time on that half of the lake. This next week i plan to spend more time up near grassy island and the northern side of eagles pass, try and pull some fish out of those deadhead filled areas.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.