Neko Rig Bite Popping Already

• Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

My dad has fished in the North Star league as long as I can remember.
    He had brought up the pressure on them to not have cull tournaments.
    I asked why they don’t just adopt the MLF format. He said they couldn’t get enough people to be weigh officials in the boats.

So I brought up why don’t the club buy X amount of scales. Before each tournament the scales are handed out.
    You then take a time stamped photo of the fish and scale. The time stamp will include the time, date and location of the fish caught.
    They then would enter the 5 biggest pics for there official weight for the tourney.

I wonder the same thing. Obviously the scales would have to be legit calibrated scales. I like this alot and feel it would be great.

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

I think there are still legit concerns that cheating that system would be too easy. Hell, there are guys caught every year in weight in tournaments. It’s just too easy for people to doctor photos and other settings on phones. I think that’s the reason.

tim hurley
    Participant

14-like the full disclosure earlier.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I think there are still legit concerns that cheating that system would be too easy. Hell, there are guys caught every year in weight in tournaments. It’s just too easy for people to doctor photos and other settings on phones. I think that’s the reason.

Virtually all walleye tournaments here are like this now. And there is some decent money on the line in them. They take photos just like you did in your video with a number, and their 5 biggest fish are scored.

To my understanding, the reason most of them did away with a live weigh in was slot restrictions and the need to eliminate a crowd at the weigh in area because of covid. It worked so well they have simply continued to use this format.

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

That’s good. I can tell you for the bass world it wouldn’t be the same. You can look at the popularity of the Elite Series Vs Major League Fishing and it’s pretty obvious that Bassmaster (which hold weigh ins) is far and away the more attended and watched series. And that’s even with most of the top names in bass going to the MLF. However now many of them have and want to return to the Elite Series.

I would be ok with a best five weigh when caught series I suppose but not the MLF or measurement style.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

That’s good. I can tell you for the bass world it wouldn’t be the same. You can look at the popularity of the Elite Series Vs Major League Fishing and it’s pretty obvious that Bassmaster (which hold weigh ins) is far and away the more attended and watched series. And that’s even with most of the top names in <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>bass going to the MLF. However now many of them have and want to return to the Elite Series.

I would be ok with a best five weigh when caught series I suppose but not the MLF or measurement style.

Does it change your feeling when your league and 5 others have a tourney on the same lakes in 1 weekend? Should all these bass be carried around all weekend so you can take a weigh in picture. Some of those fish for the 4th time ?

Michael Best
    Participant

I have often wondered where the fish go after being put back into the lake after a weigh in.

You can’t tell me they will show back up to the spot they were caught from the next day.

I have been in tourneys that fish were balled 5 to 10 miles away then released after weigh in.

The pros are hauling them up to 100 miles away.

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>
    That’s good. I can tell you for the bass world it wouldn’t be the same. You can look at the popularity of the Elite Series Vs Major League Fishing and it’s pretty obvious that Bassmaster (which hold weigh ins) is far and away the more attended and watched series. And that’s even with most of the top names in <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>bass going to the MLF. However now many of them have and want to return to the Elite Series.

Does it change your feeling when your league and 5 others have a tourney on the same lakes in 1 weekend? Should all these <em class=”ido-tag-em”>bass be carried around all weekend so you can take a weigh in picture. Some of those fish for the 4th time ?

There shouldn’t be more than one tournament on the same body of water on the same day period, IMO. That is the biggest issue the tournament scene in the bass world. Especially here in MN. Still, I don’t think they kill many bass. The bass just stop biting for a few days. Many times I go back to the lake I just had a tournament on a few days later to fish how the winners fish to try and learn. I can’t think of one time where I’ve seen a dead bass during those and some have had multiple tourneys on them like you said. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, but I don’t think it’s many when it does.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Fished Chisago yesterday between storms. It was a tough tough day. Wind and fronts coming in, I landed 3 decent fish in my outing. I did not try a neko, 360 search bait is what got the 3 bites I got. The wind sucks !!!!

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Fished Chisago yesterday between storms. It was a tough tough day. Wind and fronts coming in, I landed 3 decent fish in my outing. I did not try a neko, 360 search bait is what got the 3 bites I got. The wind sucks !!!!

I experienced similar results yesterday between storms too. Fished for about 3 hours during the middle of the day. It was not very productive.

mrpike1973
    Participant

Same as well here could not get a pattern going very skittish shallow first then even on the weed edge only got a few bass on wacky worms.

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

Had to order more Yum Genies today frydog. Ran out finally from my original order. Have been my go to during tourneys this year and they are catching bigs for me. Wish people around here carried them.

FryDog62
    Participant

Had to order more Yum Genies today frydog. Ran out finally from my original order. Have been my go to during tourneys this year and they are catching bigs for me. Wish people around here carried them.

As Tim said I have plenty of TW stock so keep on ordering – but stay outta my yard!!

FryDog62
    Participant

Mahto – I placed a Swagger order with your name. Thx for the discount code, hope you get your sponsorship!

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

Mahto – I placed a Swagger order with your name. Thx for the discount code, hope you get your sponsorship!

Thanks Chris! I really appreciate that!

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m going to hit a lake I haven’t been on all year because it’s been absolutely torched the last couple years. Just want to check what it’s giving up lately. Going to throw a finesse jig around which I’ve never done out there and see what I can scrounge up.

brandmoney
    Participant

I’m going to hit a lake I haven’t been on all year because it’s been absolutely torched the last couple years. Just want to check what it’s giving up lately. Going to throw a finesse jig around which I’ve never done out there and see what I can scrounge up.

Really hope it’s not Prior chased

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

No it’s not prior. Much smaller and better than Prior. Or was.

Viewing 18 posts - 31 through 48 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.