April 16, 2010

• CornHunka

My fishing buddy is an accountant and wants to go fishing right after tax day and I’ve got vacation days to burn (use em or lose em). Anyone got any recommendations on where to go? We were thinking maybe Milford, KS or maybe up to South Dakota to fishing the trailraces.

northstar42
    west central Minnesotsa

Give him a real treat and take him to Wheeler’s Point at Baudette, MN and fish for sturgeon. Might want to lubricate his joints first.

mike means

If you are after Eye’s, I would fish the bottom part of Lake Sharpe. The tailwaters might hold some fish but they are usually on the move in April. The bottom of Sharpe should be going crazy that time of year.

sharkbait
    The mud puddle in western Ks

We fish Milford fairly regular.the wipers and whites ought to be going then.It’s kind of the no mans land for walleye then.They should be donespawning but not moved up on the flats yet.

deerslayer13

That’s a tough question this year!!!! Think you will be better or going south .. Might just get into some darn good fishing in those Kansas lakes you mentioned.
    Heading up north to the first 2 tailraces that time of year is a little tricky.. My experience. Is lots of big boat and a few small fish. Besides that . This year there my still be ice on the lakes and most parts of the river. We just Friday came back from pickstown area. We were below the dam about 3 miles. And we cut ice up to 30 in. In slower parts of the river and in the river main channel was 25 in or so. If you do go fish tail water .I would fish the water below Big Ben. We fished both NE/SD water and full SD water. Same all over. Deep deep ice. We have never cut that much ice on the river this time of year. Heck we are usually using the boat and running all over. Not this year. We went through a ton of fuel in the snowmobiles. Ice Might not to off by April 16

rmm

Go to Port Clinton Ohio, Lake Erie walleye – Big fish! Perfect time to be there.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

Go to Port Clinton Ohio, Lake Erie walleye – Big fish! Perfect time to be there.

I agree that the fishing can be spectacular, but watch the weather. If you are flexible with the dates, then this would be a great trip. Erie can be unfishable or unbearable to fish for days at a time. I am talking about seeing waves crashing onto the roads. Waves that are 8′ plus.

Have fun,

FDR

deerslayer13

Quote:

Port Clinton Ohio, Lake Erie . That’s 800 miles from grand island ,14 hours drive time one way. . That,s kind of a long trip .just for a couple days. You spend all your time traveling. . Weather that time of year out there can be horrendous.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Pool 4! That’s where I think I’ll be. April is a great month on the big river and Everts is the place to be if they have room.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

CH- if you’re looking for a spot closer to home try Sherman. There is an incredible post spawn walleye bite there in mid April. The only draw back for the 16th, 17th, and 18th of April this year is a tournament. It’ll be a busy place. If you are intrested I have guide trips available at Sherman on the week of the 19th.

CornHunka

bump. anyone got any good ideas?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.