Small lake fishing

• walleye4
    Participant
    On the Water

Wife told me I needed to get out this morning since I have been her Slave for the last 2 weeks. With the baby and going back to work, I have been really busy and fishing was the last thing on my mind until today.

I made the short drive to a local Kearney area lake and did some Bass fishing. Was on the lake at 7:15am and put my 1st nice bass in the boat within 10 minutes. Water was in the low to mid 60’s so I started out trying shallow structure. This one hit my jig/pig on my 3rd cast and weighed 3.07 #.

I continued to fish shallow with the jig for another hour with only one other hit. Alot of my spots had already been hit early so that was probably the reason for less action. I traded out my jig and went to a 5″ Tiki Stick rigged wacky style. This was a 1st for me so I played around with it for a while around some grass and rocks and ended up with 2 small bass and had a northern swipe at it. Then I tried a 4″ straight tail worm on a jighead. I was targeting some nice fish I was seeing on the graph on some humps. This wouldn;t work for me as there is still way too much grass and it kept fowling my bait. I finally went into search mode and started throwing a Cotton Cordell Big O. The action sure did pick up. I started hitting a few shallow humps and started out getting a few 10 – 15″ fish. Then this brute came out of no where and nailed my crank. This bass went 4.49 # and was almost 20″. Man was this fish FAT! I wish I would have had a tape with me cause I would have liked to see what the girth was on this fish.

I ended up with about 20 bass in 4 hours. Most were smaller fish but the 4 I got over 16″ sure made the trip.

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

Pretty cool, man….even if they ARE bass.

Think those pike will be going there pretty soon? I’d be game for that, no doubt.

Ben Garver
    Participant
    Hickman, Nebraska

Those are some nice lookin bass Greg.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.