Mapping Going on at Sherman

• djorg
    Central City, NE

This past week we were able to watch a crew mapping Sherman Reservoir near Loup City.

At first we thought that it was the stupidest fishermen that we had ever observed. They kept backing up to the new wingdams down in trail 8 and then going across to another reclamation point. It took them a good 15 to 20 minutes to do one small point and opening to a cove.

They were using a small 16-17 flatbottom with a Merc, a blue bimini top. You could see the GPS unit, a definite sonar unit and a computer on board.

Sherman is at full pool so they should get accurate readings.

Anyone know for certain who is doing the mapping? I know that there was an early survey about lakes that Nebraska fishermen would like to see mapped on this site.

Good fishin’
    dj

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Cool! I’m looking forward to finding out more about this as well.

tomich
    Omaha, Ne

My bet would be lakemaster, I watched Navionics for 3 days in Big Bay de noc last year, their boats are marked.

djorg
    Central City, NE

Quote:

My bet would be lakemaster,….

Jason, that is my thinking also. I went back through the old threads and kind of compiled a listing of the lakes that others wished to have mapped and Sherman showed up on a lot of lists.

In looking over Lakemasters web site I see that they do very intricate mapping , some have as small as one foot increments.

Can’t wait to get ahold of their work.

Good fishin’
    dj

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

I hope it’s Lakemaster too!!

djorg
    Central City, NE

Ben

I contacted Lakemaster and they are not the ones doing the mapping. So anyones guess I guess.

Good fishin’
    dj

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Here is what Daryl Bauer had to say about the mapping that has been going on at Sherman…

Quote:

The mapping boat that has been seen on Sherman is none other than your friendly Nebraska Game & Parks Commission. We need the mapping data on Sherman to evaluate the habitat work that is being done. A contour map will be a by-product of that work, and we have shared that information with folks that produce the mapping modules for your GPS in the past.

layne-monroe
    Lincoln, Ne

Thanks for the clarification on that Ben!

Layne Monroe

djorg
    Central City, NE

Thanks again Ben and Daryl. It was a lot of fun watching that boat work back and forth in trail 8.

Good fishin’
    jorg

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.