Zorinsky Lake

• chadmayer
    Gretna, NE

First of all, what a great feeling to be back on the ice. This was our first time out this year and hopefully the cold weather will stick around. We went to Zorinsky Lake in Omaha, Nebraska. The lake was about 70 percent snow covered. Ice thickness varied from 3 inches where there is snow and it was 4 to 5 inches where there was no snow cover. We fished the channel on the southwest side of the lake by the 168th street entrance. We were in 26 feet of water over some submerged trees.

Overall the fishing wasn’t too bad, especially in the early morning. We caught about 30 crappies, 2 walleyes and a catfish. All the crappies were around 8 to 9 inches. The 2 walleyes were kind of small – see photo

Just like every outing I go on, my father-in-law catches the biggest fish of the day. It was this 3 to 4 pound catfish.

All the fish we caught were on minnows. We tried some waxies but never had a hit. I also want to say that we had 7 inches of snow late saturday night and I don’t know how safe the ice will be at Zorinsky now. Please use extreme caution! It looks like I’m going to take my son to the Ice Fishing Derby at Lake Manawa this saturday. If anyone has any tips on where to go on that lake, let me know.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

Looks like a lot of fun. GREAT JOB

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Thanks for the report Chad!! It’s nice to see some ice around here finaly. I’m heading out tonight to check out the ice at Wagon Train and Stagecoach.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Nice report Chad! I have fished Manawa a few times but only in open water. I have no idea how it fishes in the winter though. I’d just look for weeds and hope to find some gills. That should be a great time with your son!

walleye4
    On the Water

You look good in that shack man!

PM sent also!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.