Nebraska Fish pictures

• walleye4
    Participant
    On the Water

I thought I would post some pics of some nice Nebraska fish. Some are from this year and some from past years. Enjoy!

Here is a couple of nice Johnson’s Lake walleye caught back in April 2006.

3 limits of Johnson lake walleye & sauger from June 3, 2006.

Couple of nice Crappie from Sherman Reservoir last fall. Zach, these were caught that day you & Jeremy were there.

From left to Right — Me, Fishhunter44, and Scott(buddy of mine from KS) with some Harlan County crappie. Fall of 2002

I might catch some flack for this! This is a Horned Rudd that I caught while night fishing the dam at Harlan. Caught it on a crappie jig and thought I had the new State Record for goldfish. This was caught like 2 weeks after a kid caught a record goldfish in Lincoln(I think it was caught there). Was kinda FUNNY!

Last but not least! Fishhunter44 with his big Master Angler from Harlan!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I didn’t know we had Horned Rudd over here in the states. I thought as a species in general the rudd was confined to Europe. I know on the other side of the ocean our european friends make a big fuss over those buggers.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Ben Garver
    Participant
    Hickman, Nebraska

Last year I went on my first paddle fish snagging adventure. What a fun time! I can’t wait to go again next year!!

walleye4
    Participant
    On the Water

James,

I thought it was just a gold fish when I caught it. After doing some research and sending a picture to Daryl B. at the NGPC, he declared it to be a horned rudd. I had never heard of them before until then. He said someone dumped them in there out of their fish tank at home. What is funny though is that after I caught this one, there was 2 more caught in the same place by different people within a month.

CRAZY I SAY!

ryan-hale
    Participant
    NW Ia

Great pics.
    Ben,I heard that paddlefish taste great,is that true?? And your only allowed one per year?
    Ryan Hale

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

My day was so crappy at Harlan yesterday, I would have TAKEN that master angler walleye in that picture!

The wildest thing was, I actually felt him thump that little crappie bait. If he’s still got that attitude about eating, I’m sure he’s doin well in that lake now!

Ben Garver
    Participant
    Hickman, Nebraska

Ryan- Paddlefish are incredibly tastey!! It was the best fish I had ever eaten. They have a limited number of tags they give out every year in Nebraska. There is usually twice as many applicants as permits so you would be lucky to get one every other year. I didn’t even try this year to get one but you can bet that I will try for one next year. Our snagging season is during the month of Oct. only. If you ever see an opertunity to get one you should give it a try.

Ben Garver
    Participant
    Hickman, Nebraska

Here’s a flathead we picked up while trolling at the Nebraska Governor’s Cup walleye tournament.

wade_kuehl
    Participant
    Northwest Iowa

My wife Tamara with a nice Missouri River smallie.

walleye4
    Participant
    On the Water

Wade,

Can I go river smallie fishing with you!

That is one great looking smallie, wish we had some like that closer to me.

All we seem to catch are 10″. I did manage to find a small group of nicer fish about a month ago but that is the 1st time.

Man I miss living close to Wilson Lake in KS, now I know there are big SMB there!

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

A few other flatheads, 24 and 31 pounds.

And my biggest walleye so far, a 27 1/2″ from Sherman. Man, I gotta pop that 28″ barrier someday, I would think!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Nice fish!

Fishhunter…that looks like a spot here in MN!

….and nothing better than a piece of jerky after handling a big flat! Red licorise good well with flathead slime too.

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

Brian,
    Thanks! That walleye was caught at Sherman, which is one of my favorite lakes to fish. Since I moved farther away, it’s been tougher to get up there, but I gotta get up there to beat that 27 1/2 incher, I think that’s my best spot to do it near here!

As for the jerky in the boat….you wouldn’t believe the flak I took over that! That’s all right…..some of those guys don’t know how right you are; jerky is TASTY when flathead fishin! I’m still workin on that slime, though……

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

fishhunter44,

What are you guys using for bait for the flats down there. Many of the serious cat guys up here use bullheads for livebait. Sucker seems to get the nod for cut bait.

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

James,
    We specifically fish for flattys quite a bit in the Tri County Canal. We use lots of bluegills and bullheads, and also use some goldfish, and chubs if we can find em big enough, and sometimes waterdogs. Bullheads usually catch our bigger fish for some reason. The biggest we’ve ever caught on a bluegill is only 24 pounds.

ratherbfishn
    Participant
    St Paul Park MN

Quote:

My wife Tamara with a nice Missouri River smallie.

Wade, you wife out fishes you on them bass too eh

wade_kuehl
    Participant
    Northwest Iowa

Hey brother Joe! What’s up? Yea, my old lady and your old lady should get together and fish a bass tourney. You and I could both get rich!

You gonna hit Mille Lacs for the October full moon?

pete meister
    Participant
    Nebraska

[image]IMG_3435[/image]

Ben Garver
    Participant
    Hickman, Nebraska

Pete- call me and I’ll help you get the picture up!!

chadmayer
    Participant
    Gretna, NE

Here are some of the crappies Greg keeps talking about!

These are some nice Johnson Lake walleyes.

Master Angler Wiper – thanks Greg

I love ice fishing!!!!

Papa showing my son how to use the Vexilar

wade_kuehl
    Participant
    Northwest Iowa

Love that wiper Chad! Nice job!!

trevor nation
    Participant
    Elwood/Johnson Lake, NE

My biggest flathead this year ??lbs

My biggest smallmouth this year 4.5lbs

My biggest wiper this year 13.12lbs

And some from the past couple years

Nice face i know

Greg, those 2 walleye came from the inlet at right about this time

Ok im done

walleye4
    Participant
    On the Water

NIce pics guys!

Ben Garver
    Participant
    Hickman, Nebraska

Trevor- Were you wearing a KU hat??

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

Ya, I think the last picture with the dirty face explains what someone did to him when they found out about his hat!!

trevor nation
    Participant
    Elwood/Johnson Lake, NE

Since we dont keep secrets on this forum, the walleye moved into the inlet today, they were thick at dark tonight

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.