All these Walleye reports…….

• blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

…and no Bass reports. I find it hard to believe there’s no Bass in NE…

I could swear I saw a Moderator holding a nice Smallie a while back.

There has to be some Bass reports from NE out there somewhere.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I heard they started a program 20 years ago called…NE DNR’s You hookem, We cookem. ’cause they couldn’t find a good reason to keep’em in the waters.

That’s what I heard….

redneck
    Rosemount

You mean they eat those things, yuk!

sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

Walleye Reports………………. Lies, all lies and photo shop…………. Do Walleyes even exist in the Midwest anymore? I call for immediate congressional investigation!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Todd_NE

<<<Not a Moderator, rarely fishes for bass anymore.

Though I did mention I caught a ton of wipers and whiteys at harlan. Here’s a tip. Take a pearl, bleak (Scheels color), or Firetiger and troll or cast on the flats at Harlan. Your arms will fall off in the right spot. Hot spots including subtle points off cane covered banks.

That said, reports are that the unchannelized Missouri River is HOT for smallies right now. It’s one of the top ten or so smallmouth fisheries in the US depending on the last article you’ve read. It’s definitely top 25.

It’s heavy current and marsh fishing. Sometimes they are on current edges, holes, marsh openings, riprap, back sides of sandbars, etc. In the right spot at the right time a guy can get some 18-20″ smallies, I’ve had days over 10 of these pigs and don’t bass fish much.

Every smallie fisherman should take a trip to this area in their life to fish Lake Sharpe, Lake Francis Case and uppper waters of Lewis & Clark.

Todd

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks Todd!

Don’t let the word out…but about 5 years ago I pulled out the fly rod on a calm morning on the Croix. Started casting a wet fly to the rocky shore line…for the heck of it…WHAM! and into the air that thing went! Been getting out just for those guys ever since.

Always go early in the morning…gotsa reputation to keep you know.

They have bass tourneys in the …what did Wade call it?? the bug bit state? No, what where the Huskers called before the Huskers??

Todd_NE

Here ya go

efore 1900, Nebraska football teams were known by such names as the Old Gold Knights, Antelopes, Rattlesnake Boys and the Bugeaters. In its first two seasons (1890-91), Nebraska competed as the Old Gold Knights, but beginning in 1892, Nebraska adopted Scarlet and Cream as its colors and accepted the Bugeaters as its most popular nickname until the turn of the century. Named after the insect-devouring bull bats that hovered over the plains, the Bugeaters also found their prey in the Midwest, enjoying winning campaigns in every year of the 1890s until a disappointing season in 1899.

After its first losing season in a decade, it must have seemed only fitting that Nebraska move in a new direction, and Lincoln sportswriter Charles S. (Cy) Sherman, who was to gain national renown as the sports editor of the Lincoln Star and help originate The Associated Press Poll, provided the nickname that has gained fame for a century. Sherman tired of referring to the Nebraska teams with such an unglamorous term as Bugeaters. Iowa had, from time to time, been called the Cornhuskers, and the name appealed to Sherman.

Iowa partisans seemed to prefer Hawkeyes, so Sherman started referring to the Nebraska team as Cornhuskers, and the 1900 team was first to bear that label.

Those cats gave me the shakes. I gotta figure out a cattin’ sumo pigisimo porquine trip in August!

emover
    Malcom, IA

WOW,
    I always thought it was just ‘Go Big Red’

dave

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

That’s it! Bugeaters!

I liked that one much better…and is much more “colorful”!

Somehow, sometime we’re going to have to figure out how we can get together and talk sports…Ben, Zack, you me …we’ll skip Wade as he always wants to talk fishing!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Dave, wasn’t big red a…fire truck?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.