It’s getting quiet here.

• huskerdb
    Kearney, Nebraska

Does that mean the fishing has gotten tough and no one wants to come clean about poor results or that they are hiding all their big catches from the online scouter crowd?

Wish I could say the latter applied to me lately but sadly it has been mostly tough fishing for me the last month.

gordonk
    mpls

Based on my experience lately, it’s both. On Saturday, I went to one of my favorite smallie hotspots, having had pretty good success on windy, overcast days. Nada. Second time this year I got skunked.

On Sunday, went to one of my secret hotspot largemouth lakes and ripped up the big ones. One over six, and my best five would have easily hit 23 pounds or so.

Yesterday, went to a local lake and had one northern bite off in two hours.

I’ll be out again this afternoon before the wind and rain hit again so I’m due.

whitetips2

It’s fall! Fishing reports dry up in the fall mostly because everyone is busy with other activities. As fall sports kick off and hunting seasons open there are a whole bunch of folks who put the rods & reels away.

That does NOT mean the fish are not biting, in fact I consider right now to be the best open-water fishing of the year. A guy just has to go and make his own reports!

Daryl Bauer
    Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
    Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
    [email protected]
    Bauer’s Barbs and Backlashes

sinister-fishing
    Omaha, Ne for now

I haven’t been out cause of a broken collar bone but a friend was up at niobrara and just caught a few cats last week but he has been fishing a undisclosed location destroying walleye like mad!!! if I posted his pics it would give the location and he doesn’t want 30 boats there the next time he goes out. Who can blame him on the eastern side of this state where there’s not many options.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

It’s been rough. I’m 1 for 5 last 5 trips out. Today Harlan was tough for us, but at least we got a few fish in the boat, even if they weren’t the right ones. Water here from Colorado has it all screwed up. I’ve never seen brown water like this before. The entire canal system, Johnson, all of it, dark brown.

Speakin of which, I wonder how the e Coli being 20x the acceptable parts per million will affect our fisheries. Any word on that Daryl?

whitetips2

Quote:

It’s been rough. I’m 1 for 5 last 5 trips out. Today Harlan was tough for us, but at least we got a few fish in the boat, even if they weren’t the right ones. Water here from Colorado has it all screwed up. I’ve never seen brown water like this before. The entire canal system, Johnson, all of it, dark brown.

Speakin of which, I wonder how the e Coli being 20x the acceptable parts per million will affect our fisheries. Any word on that Daryl?

The E. coli will not affect the fish at all. Coliform bacteria infects mammals. Don’t drink the water.

Daryl Bauer
    [email protected]

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Good enough for me! Now we just gotta wait for the water to clear up. The river at Lexington is getting lower all the time, so I’m hoping it won’t be long until it passes. Sure was nice to get some water into Elwood, too.

sinister-fishing
    Omaha, Ne for now

You let us know if you get sick too. I don’t eat the fish out of the Missouri let alone dirty flood water with bacteria in it. Just cause someone’s says its safe, do you want to be the first one to try it? Just a thought

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Hell I gotta catch something first, and that’s been a struggle for me lately.

sinister-fishing
    Omaha, Ne for now

welcome to what fishing around the Omaha area is like 3/4 of the year unless you like catfishing. The fall is the only good time of year I can go out and catch walleyes on a regular basis. All the lakes around here get algae and smell like a sewer dump station. So when I fish here I’m a pure catch and release.

whitetips2

Quote:

You let us know if you get sick too. I don’t eat the fish out of the Missouri let alone dirty flood water with bacteria in it. Just cause someone’s says its safe, do you want to be the first one to try it? Just a thought

Won’t eat fish out of the Missouri? Why not?

There are NO BANS on the consumption of fish from any body of water in Nebraska. Nebraska’s Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) tests the fillets of a variety of fish collected from waters all across Nebraska. If the levels of a variety of toxins exceed safe levels in those fish fillets, then DEQ issues fish consumption advisories recommending that folks may want to limit, not necessarily eliminate, their consumption of fish from those waters. Those advisories are very conservative and based on the assumption that a person would eat a meal of fish from that one body of water, once a week, every week for a period of years and then they would have an increased chance of getting sick, probably developing cancer, because of the toxins that have been found in the fish fillets from those waters where consumption advisories are issued. I don’t know about you, but I do not eat that much fish from any body of water and would not hesitate to eat fish from any water in the state including the Missouri River.

Read more about the fish consumption advisories and what it all means, and make your own decisions, Nebraska’s Department of Environmental Quality .

Daryl Bauer
    [email protected]

sinister-fishing
    Omaha, Ne for now

Sorry when I go to Minnesota I fish clean clear water. I have been going up there all my life. The river from souix city down is nasty gross! Ha ve you aen how you boat looks after to take it out of the river? Ya that’s why I chose not to eat them. Just because some study shows or tells something doesn’t mean I believe them. So I don’t think so

whitetips2

Quote:

Sorry when I go to Minnesota I fish clean clear water. I have been going up there all my life. The river from souix city down is nasty gross! Ha ve you aen how you boat looks after to take it out of the river? Ya that’s why I chose not to eat them. Just because some study shows or tells something doesn’t mean I believe them. So I don’t think so

So you can look in the water and see if it is good or not? You can see whether the fish have any toxins in their flesh?

They don’t have fish consumption advisories on Minnesota Rivers, Fish Consumption Guidelines for Minnesota Rivers??????

Daryl B.

sinister-fishing
    Omaha, Ne for now

If you want to eat them, then go ahead. When I take my boat out of leech lake it not covered in [censored] (literally) I personally don’t feel like eating anything from souix city cause of all the crap in the water. Its know to be bad on outboards and other engine parts. Its just my choice

whitetips2

Quote:

If you want to eat them, then go ahead. When I take my boat out of leech lake it not covered in [censored] (literally) I personally don’t feel like eating anything from souix city cause of all the crap in the water. Its know to be bad on outboards and other engine parts. Its just my choice

It is your choice. All I am saying is know what is really out there, find the facts. There are plenty of fish consumption advisories in Minnesota too, including Leech Lake, Fish Consumption Advisories for Minnesota Lakes.

Everything is not what it seems to be on the surface.

Daryl B.

sinister-fishing
    Omaha, Ne for now

The only reason I fish that river is that’s were the walleyes are. In the fall. (if I kept them, I’d consistently have a limit) I only keep fish if I’m going to eat them that night. nothing like fresh walleye fillets! Any way, I know you can get all the lake info on Minnesota lake finder. yes there are contaminants in the lakes there. I don’t deny that. Its the thought of fish swimming in treated Poop, your hands smell like that pooh after you handle a few fish and thats what makes me not want to keep them. I know you work for Nebraska game and parks. I know its your job to boost and help the fishing in the state. I believe you do a good job at that with that. (for what you have to work with)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.