Our fish cannot live without water

• Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

Of course, this is something we here all know. But I wanted to post this article written by Nebraska’s Daryl Bauer as it highlights a few issues with our water system and supply here in Nebraska. It’s not what I would call dire right now, but it sure isn’t good. This will tell you a little bit about what’s goin on in NE as some of you may not have seen this.

http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/2013/09/water-life-blood/

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

And yes, in the picture, that is our Lake McConaughy. The walleye fishing has been so good there, but I’m sure it’ll be on the decline now when you see that much sand.

grampatim
    Participant
    Spirit Lake, IA

Wow, that looks real bad!!!

sinister-fishing
    Participant
    Omaha, Ne for now

Hard to believe a couple years ago they had to open the flood gates on the lake for the first time! Looks more like a sand box now. The Missouri river here at omaha is the lowest its been in a long time. Last year were catching walleye in the river all year. This year as been the complete opposite! Nebraska could definitely use some rain

huskerdb
    Participant
    Kearney, Nebraska

Maybe instead of learning new fishing techniques I should start studying the art of the rain dance. No easy solutions to this issue.

sinister-fishing
    Participant
    Omaha, Ne for now

The funny thing is, next year it could be full again. 5 years ago it was down and they said it would take 20 years to fill. Then 2011 came along and we all remember that year. lol… The flood waters were a block away from flooding ameritrade stadium. (new stadium for college world series) So you never know, it could be full again soon. Lets hope

jerry b
    Participant
    western WI

Which aquifer is that? If that’s the Oglala, you guys share that with everyone from SD to TX. jerr

carroll58
    Participant
    Twin Cities, USA

Some interesting Facts & Figures from Wikipedia:

Lake McConaughy from Wikipedia link

Sad to see the ravages of Drought and extreme irrigation. Googled the Aerial view on Google Maps, Dots & Dots & more Dots of Irrigation Systems producing an abundance of grains to feed the world.

Check this link to Google Maps, count the Dots. Lake McCaughty Nebraska link via google
    Here’s the coordinates 41.067963,-101.71772 centered just South of the lake.

Thanks for posting

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.