Weekend fishing anyone?

• Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

Heard there were quite a few people out to area lakes this weekend with lots of fish caught. We made it out Friday and had a pretty decent day ourselves. In one area we managed a 28″ northern, 4-5 whites, a crappie, a drum, and 3 saugers. In another area we racked up another 6-7 white bass, a walleye, and 5 wipers. All 5 were MA fish. Had another two wipers pop the hooks, but they felt just as nice. All this rain has been nice and much needed, but I sure hope it doesn’t lower the water temp too much!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

The wipers you catch are amazing.

Bucket list… some day.

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

Thanks James! You gotta make it down here….now til August! I know they’re caught into Nov and Dec, and I’m still working on figuring that out, to be honest. Hopefully this year.

These wipers are hearty; nothing like hearing a reel scream and just waiting to gain some ground on them and watching them freak out next to the boat when they see the net.

As always, all these guys were released so I can hope to net them again after they gain a few inches. Can’t wait to try!

4fishing
    Participant

Nice fish B Rob – we also headed out Saturday and got into the walleye pretty heavy. Ended up catching 28 with only one under 15″ and all were fat. Most were released but a few were kept to eat.

huskerdb
    Participant
    Kearney, Nebraska

Nice looking fish Brian.

Ed Stern
    Participant
    Goodhue, MN, Goodhue County,

I made the annual trip to the Alma Fishing Float with the Goodhue HS kids on Friday. About 35 kids and 6 adults went fishing, not expecting a lot because of the rain. The rain stopped just as we arrived, and the fishing started. Usually, I am busy enough helping some of the kids where I don’t get to fish hard, but this time, one of the seniors, Josh Dahling, helped out. So, I was in the water, losing crawlers within ten minutes. I watched as two nice Sheephead were caught, and then saw a three pound Smallie come to net. I did nail a three pound northern, and then I stopped catching fish. Fortunately, many of the others were starting to ‘frenzy’ themselves. For the middle three hours, kids were catching northerns from 3 to 6 pounds, some half pound perch, and a bunch of smallies & largemouth. Mix in one crappie over a pound, a sucker for good measure, and a couple of white bass, and we turned it into a reasonable day. Only one walleye caught, and it was only 10″, so it is growing into a trophy over the next couple of weeks. Most fish were caught on orange or chartreuse jigs, blades, or spinners. It didn’t make much difference what size. The northerns & largemouth were on the shore side of the Float, everything else was in the stronger current. The picture is of a 4 lb 14 oz Smallmouth caught just East of the Float. A good day for everyone, and a proud day for my brother-in-law, Bruce with his trophy. He released it to be caught again after the picture.

shane123
    Participant
    Anthon, Iowa

Beautiful wipers !!!! Man, those are amazing. I wish I could get into a mess of those, would be a fun battle!!!

As for me, I went up to Lewis & Clark Lake sunday. Put in on the Nebraska side at weigand, and headed over to the colonies and trolled the holes. Was having terrible luck till the rain/sprinkles started. Every time it started to rain or sprinkle, the lines would get tight! The biggest walleye, 24″. The smallest, 15″. The sauger was only 10 or 11, and the pike was 30 inch 7 pound beast, ran for awhile on us!

chomps
    Participant
    Sioux City IA

good work Shane, love the gloves on that slimer pic! We caught a few that size also and man you knew something was going on bigger than a walleye or smallmouth.

shane123
    Participant
    Anthon, Iowa

Quote:

good work Shane, love the gloves on that slimer pic! We caught a few that size also and man you knew something was going on bigger than a walleye or smallmouth.

Hahaha, thanks Pete. Those gloves came with the free tackle bag for purchasing my LX-9. I wasn’t worried about the slime so much, mainly the sharp gills.

When the 2nd largest walleye hit (22″), i grabbed the reel and then the northern hit my other rod, so blake had the fun of grabbing that one. He actually said it might be a log because we were still coasting from trolling, and finally got it closer to the boat before it finally tugged back and took on line.

It was pretty much a fun day, goofy how the bite was coinciding with the rain tho.

Anyways, looks like we will be hitting storm lake this weekend. Its been on fire all week, catfish and walleyes. So fast that you hardly can run 2 lines.

luveyes
    Participant

Some eyes from Harlan today. Buddy and I got 10 in 2 hours. Biggest was 24″. Kept a few of the smaller ones for eaters, but put the big ones back.

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

Very nice. I’ve been hearing some good things about that lake. Sure wish I was closer to it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.