Fall Fishing Advice

• jebb-hatch
    Kearney, Nebraska

Anyone have any advice on fall fishing around the Kearney area? I have a brother-in-law coming out to visit next weekend and wants to go fishing. My schedule usually doesn’t allow much fishing this time of year, so I need some help. He doesn’t even care what species.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Depends on how close to Kearney you’d like to stay. If you head west 30-40 miles you may be able to get some fish in some areas. Around Kearney though, you may look at the fall trout stockings in the area. Lots of good pits to look for bass. Cottonmill would also be a good place to look for bass, pike and some crappies. I haven’t been there in a few years now, but I’ve been wanting to make it out and try a few tricks.

Let us know what develops.

jebb-hatch
    Kearney, Nebraska

B Rob,
    I was thinking about heading west, just to get the boat out one more time.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Never a bad idea.

Temps in the canal today were 47, and crappies are stacked in areas around structure. As long as the weather holds out they’ll be out and around the structure and hopefully won’t dive into the cover. We had 150 or so in the boat today, always a good time. Having deep water near is the key right now, meaning 10FOW or more, unless you’re in direct sunlight. Hope this helps.

jebb-hatch
    Kearney, Nebraska

Thanks. We will give it a shot and let you know how it turns out.

jebb-hatch
    Kearney, Nebraska

Ended up fishing the canal Saturday. Great weather, but fairly slow fishing. We ended up with a few white bass and a 15 inch smallie. On Sunday we hit some of the pits around Kearney. Tough fishing again. Ended up with a few LMB and a 14 inch crappie. Still a great weekend to be out fishing. Thanks again B Robinson

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

No prob. You’re right, it’s always better to be outside fishing. Can’t catch anything from your couch. If you can….that’s the coolest thing ever. And I want an address.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.