LMB on fire!

• Brian Robinson
    central Neb

As is the case in a lot of sandpits and other areas full of bass this time of year, throw something at em, and they’ll most likely hit it. Today was no exception. Water levels are down right now in Nebraska, which makes fishing sandpits easy; you can walk around areas you’d usually have to have a machete for this time of year.

Went out today with the double-Joes (both guys are Joe) to some pits that I’ve eyeballed for 35 years, wondering how I can get back to fish em. Joe Z was gracious enough to invite me along for a couple hours tonight, and it was a great night to be out. The first sandpit produced quite a few LMB, no crappies. Some real nice cover that would ordinarily be under more water; it looked to be a good 3′ down.

2nd pit was very productive. My first 6 casts produced 6 LMB. A huge beaver dam was completely out of water, but still have enough cover to hold quite a few LMB. Joe was nailing quite a few here as well.

The 3rd pit was not as productive as it was closer to dark, and this one seemed shallower. We will investigate this one further in the future, hopefully with the 13 footer.

Crankbaits really worked well today. I threw one all night, and that was a Bomber Square A, been a reliable bait this year for me. Jig n pig produced some as well, and the Joes were using texas-rigged plastics, which seemed to do better than jig n pigs at times. I ended up with around 17 bass, and I know they reeled in quite a few as well. Biggest fish was probably a solid 17″, maybe 17 1/2″. The Joes may have had one that was close to 18. No crappies.

Great way to spend the evening before it was ruined by me going to work.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

6 bass in 6 casts to start is about as good as it gets.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

On brand new water, to boot! Good to know I can still read sandpits like a book sometimes….

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.