Asian Carp

• Husker26
    Gretna, NE

I’ve been hearing that these invasive little SOB’s are all over in the Platte River and the Missouri River now. I’ve got a curious question in regards to this!! I’m hoping Daryl will answer this one in a polite way . Are there any regulations against snagging for these in the river? BUT the real question I’m really hoping to get answered is this one though<<<< Would it be illegal to take a shotgun to these things while they are in the middle of one of their airborne flights?? I can only imagine how much fun that would be but have a feeling someone would frown upon this sort of behavior After all, would someone care if we started blasting away at Zebra Mussels??

I did read the the regulations about snagging in the Missouri River under certain dates, but curious if they will change that or will that open up a whole new bag of worms? I’m sure there will be “those” guys that snag anything and everything and say that they were trying to Asian Carp! BUT, there was “NOTHING” stated about the Shotgunning Asian Air Carp!!

jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

Steel shot would be a must. If your in a duck hunting area or something away from houses, and clean up your mess. It might be okay to do.

jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

Hope they go away somehow.. we are running out of time.

whitetips2

Yes, the Asian carp are here. Bighead and silver carp both can be found in our Missouri River and in tributaries to the Missouri. When water levels are high, and Lord knows they were high last year, those darned things travel upstream to invade even more waters. We certainly are seeing more Asian carp after last year’s flooding.

The only snagging that is allowed for any fish in Nebraska is that allowed during the paddlefish season. And that is allowed only under special permit and only on those waters open to paddlefish snagging. No, no one would care if anyone harvested every last Asian carp, but as soon as we legalize snagging of those fish, then there unfortunately will be folks that take advantage of that and illegally snag catfish and other game fish.

I am not sure about the legalities of shooting fish with firearms. I would suggest you ask a conservation officer that question. My hunch is that certain “gears” or methods of take are allowed, listed, and anything else not listed is not allowed. I doubt that firearms are listed as a legal method of take.

Other than that, have at ’em!

Daryl Bauer
    Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
    Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
    [email protected]
    Bauer’s Barbs and Backlashes

dog2th
    Omaha, NE

My buddy was bass fishing at DeSoto Bend and his brother was hit in the chest by an Asian Carp while casting. It about knocked him outta his boat.

Snag as many as you can and ship them off to a landfill site.

Yikes.

nick_harrison
    Garrison, IA

This is what some guys are doing to cut down the population. Link

Husker26
    Gretna, NE

I did get an answer from one of our Conservation Officers here. He told me what I already figured,,,, it’s not a legal practice to take the fish with a shotgun. It doesn’t fit the “proper tackle” which makes sense. I figured it would be too good to be true if we could. I can’t imagine the fun that would be!! As for snagging, that was a no as well. I might strap my boy up though and pull him on a tube through them with a baseball bat and see if he can fix his swing!! lol

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.