East Odessa WMA

• huskerdb
    Kearney, Nebraska

Decided to try out a new location this weekend and went to check out the sandpit at this WMA. We spent a couple hours here and had the whole place to ourselves. The local game officer dropped by but no other anglers.

The boys were with me and caught a couple bluegills and a 4″ bass using nightcrawlers.

The bass seemed to be congregated in the deeper water (relatively speaking) of the east section of the pit. They were putting on an aerial show with lots of large bass jumping out of the water and splashing which impresses the heck out of the kids. I was using a texas rigged 5″ Berkley sinking minnow. Caught several bass ranging in size from 10.5-14″ All of them appearing well fed and healthy to me which is good to see with water levels so low. Tried out a topwater popper and a jig and pig as well to see a different presentation could draw out some of the bigger sized fish but not much luck with those presentations this time. Will have to make another trip back to experiment further.

Good luck everyone!

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Nice….haven’t been to that place since probably 1997. Been wanting to check it out again, just to see what’s there. May hafta do that.

mroberts
    Nebraska

I think I might try to ice fish it this winter and see if I can find any big gills.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.