Lake Maloney – Sutherland

• huskerdb
    Kearney, Nebraska

I will be in North Platte for the Memorial Day weekend and plan to spend some time at one or both of these reservoirs during the weekend. Would appreciate hearing if anyone has any stratigies or techniques that have been successful for them on either of these reservoirs. I am willing to target any species but at the current time I do not have an operational boat so I am limited to the shores so please keep that in mind for any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

whitetips2

Quote:

I will be in North Platte for the Memorial Day weekend and plan to spend some time at one or both of these reservoirs during the weekend. Would appreciate hearing if anyone has any stratigies or techniques that have been successful for them on either of these reservoirs. I am willing to target any species but at the current time I do not have an operational boat so I am limited to the shores so please keep that in mind for any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Look for the current/flowing water spots; fish there. You should not have any trouble finding those spots over Memorial Day weekend, just look for the crowd.

Daryl Bauer
    Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
    Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
    [email protected]
    Bauer’s Barbs and Backlashes

jebb-hatch
    Kearney, Nebraska

I have had lots of luck off of Kansas point on Lake Maloney. It has the current that Daryl was talking about. It will also have lots of people as he pointed out as well. If you can get out there early you should be able to find a spot. Good Luck.

huskerdb
    Kearney, Nebraska

Thanks for the suggestion. Any specific presentations you think work best there?

whitetips2

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion. Any specific presentations you think work best there?

That all depends on what you want to catch.

Jigs are hard to beat.

Daryl B.

jebb-hatch
    Kearney, Nebraska

I usually used live bait. Put enough weight on to have the current slowly drift your bait. Pretty much like lindy rigging from shore. Caught lots of walleye, white bass and wipers this way.

huskerdb
    Kearney, Nebraska

Thanks. Hopefully I have some success I can report back on Tuesday.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Hope you’re able to catch some! I haven’t seen that lake since 1999 I bet. I have been hearing a few good things lately, which is weird because I usually hear nothing. I know there are some spots on the canal where guys do real well on smallies, but I know nothing about their location or if you need a boat. I’m betting if you throw jigs and the like around the inlet, you’l run into a little bit of everything. Maybe even some wipers.

huskerdb
    Kearney, Nebraska

Found a couple smallies at Sutherland on Sunday along with a LOT of small channel cats. They were hitting the live bait almost as soon as it hit bottom. No big trophies but with 3 boys ranging from 4 to 9 in the fishing party quanity over quality was a good trade off for this kind of trip.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Thanks for reporting back. I’m sure it was a blast.

jebb-hatch
    Kearney, Nebraska

Good to hear you had some success, especially with kids getting involved.

huskerdb
    Kearney, Nebraska

Here is the youngest with a bass caught at Yanney park in Kearney this weekend.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Nice! I never seem to make it over there, but I wanna go after some of those big gills.

huskerdb
    Kearney, Nebraska

Yeah, give the boat a night off and come along with me and the boys some evening.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

….if only they would put a boat ramp in there….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.